Vocabularly Improving Books for Boys

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
GobOnStick

Vocabularly Improving Books for Boys

Post by GobOnStick »

I have been told to make sure my son reads lots of books with longer more unusual and old fashioned words in them to improve his vocabulary.

Can anyone suggest boy friendly titles? There were lots of Jane Austin type novels for my daughter, but I'm at a loss for my son!

Thank you! :D
Stroller

Re: Vocabularly Improving Books for Boys

Post by Stroller »

Just William series - Richmal Crompton

Any of the Geraldine McCaughrean books (very unisex adventures)

Some of Terry Pratchett's books for kids eg The amazing Maurice and his educated rodents; the Bromeliad books.

Lemony Snicket series

The Ghost of Thomas Kempe by Penelope Lively

Anything by Joan Aiken
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Treasure Island and Kidnapped and Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde all by Robert Louis Stevenson. Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain. Any book by Robert Westall, Storm Catcher for one. Moonfleet , R Faulkner. Try and find the fanastic Sky version of this just shown at Christmas
Mum.my

Post by Mum.my »

The Hobbit

And if you want to challenge them more then books by Isaac Asimov.
Not only good for vocabulary but also for comprehension as will enable them to think about the inferential questions where most kids struggle.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Swallows and Amazons, Captain Hornblower, Septimus Heap, Tom Sawyer & Huckleberry Finn.

More ideas here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advice ... ading-list" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now