Caterham School 11+ Past Papers

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Goodheart

Caterham School 11+ Past Papers

Post by Goodheart »

According to the FAQ section of the Caterham School web site (http://www.caterhamschool.co.uk/admissions/faq/):
Q. Can you get past papers for the entrance exam?
A. Yes. Maths and English are available but Verbal & Numerical Reasoning is not
It then proceeds to provide no information whatsoever about how to actually obtain those past papers. I could telephone the school, but I'm loathe to do so as even to get hold of a prospectus they make you fill-out a form containing your full name and address, child's name, date of birth etc. and I'd really rather stay below the radar at the moment.

Does anyone know any how I can get hold of these past papers, or does anyone happen to have any?
hermanmunster

Re: Caterham School 11+ Past Papers

Post by hermanmunster »

hmm may find that you can only get them if the child is registered for the exam.. are you at that stage yet?
Goodheart

Post by Goodheart »

hermanmunster wrote:are you at that stage yet?
Not quite. I'm a tad ahead of the game. DD is still in Year 4. :)
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

I seem to remember that you get sent them on registration. Most local tutors will have copies. The English paper hasn't changed for decades but the maths gets updated every couple of years. Recently they've just had problems to solve, none of the easier questions to break you in gently.
Goodheart

Post by Goodheart »

If the English paper hasn't changed for decades, and I can get hold of a past paper, I think I rate my DD's chances!
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Lol, afraid that I was referring to the sample papers sent out by the school of course. Though another local independent did set one of their past English papers last year, presumably not realising it was in circulation amongst local tutors.

In terms of needing your name and address for a prospectus, that seems fairly standard amongst most schools (at the very least they need to mail it out). You can of course pick it up at an open day anonymously.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Ladymuck wrote:You can of course pick it up at an open day anonymously.
After they've got your name and address because you've registered for the open day... :D It's like holiday companies: once you've given them your details you will be inundated with "luxury breaks/schools you can't afford" brochures for ever.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

I seem to have been able to get into plenty of open days without having to give my name or date of birth. That said, some of the local schools are known to be looking for parents who aren't using them simply as a grammar back up, and for schools such as Whitgift say, you would be wise to register your interest as early and as often as possible (there is a section on the application asking which events you've been to). Not sure that Caterham is particularly swayed by that, but it isn't a large 11+ intake given that the prep school seems fairly full. They did go to 5 forms at year 7 this year, but have said that they won't repeat that.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now