Skinners starters Sept 2015

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Villagedad

Skinners starters Sept 2015

Post by Villagedad »

A thread for those who have DS's starting at Skinners in September this year.

I believe there is a new year 7 parents evening on Thurs 18 June, which will be an opportunity for us to all find out more information. Any other dates that we need to know? Has anyone received an email link to the welcome pack as yet?

Exciting times :)
NoBigDeal1

Re: Skinners starters Sept 2015

Post by NoBigDeal1 »

Ooh I can join this!DS has decided he wants to go to Skinners,very proud if him.thanks for all your support last few weeks/months you are a great group of supported people.thanks
salsa

Post by salsa »

Congratulations! I know it's been hard for you to decide. Well done for being brave! Yes, be proud of your boy! :D

What are you doing to celebrate?
Optymum

Post by Optymum »

The other date to be aware of is the induction day. I confirmed this with Skinners on Wednesday, as I need to book the day off work. It is Thursday 9th July. Not sure of timings yet though. I have not received the induction pack E mail yet, but the lady I spoke to on Wednesday said something would be sent out this week.
It is getting closer now! DS is excited, but a little worried about making new friends. Maybe a summer get together is possible?
PanicMode

Post by PanicMode »

My son is starting too - he's very excited as it's the only school he wanted to go to, even though he had Judd as an option too...

Still no email here - but I have booked my Simmons uniform trip for the 10% off day (Sunday 28th June).

Good info on the induction day - when my friend phoned to get info because the other schools gave it out ages ago, she was told things are done differently at Skinners'! I'm so worried that the email will go to a spam folder or something and I'll miss it - can people post on here when they get it?
Optymum

Post by Optymum »

Yes, we are booked in to get the uniform on Sunday 28 June also. I am hoping my DS will have his growth spurt before then; but I expect it will be just afterwards! I think we will buy the blazer on the larger side!
PanicMode

Post by PanicMode »

It is the law of sod Optymum! DH is 6ft 6 so DS1 is likely to be fairly tall too.....but a friend of mine whose son is going to be in Yr11 said that everyone buys big blazers to get them through to Yr 10 in one blazer as after that they are in suits - so they won't be the only one with sleeves down to their knees :wink: I'm sure!
doodles

Post by doodles »

DS2 is in year 8 and we received his information pack when we attended the new parents evening in June. This is when you find out which class and house they are in - the house they are in determines the colour of the braiding on the blazer, the tie and PE vest.

The blazers do take quite a bashing and even though I bought big DS1 needed two and ds2 will as well.

Good luck and enjoy.
whichwaytogo

Post by whichwaytogo »

Hi, Another first time Skinners Mum too. Great to be on board! As others have said, on the school supplier website (Simmonds in TW) there is a 10% week in June. The only day you can book the appointments though is Sunday 28th June, otherwise it is drop in during the week after. I remember the getting of the Judd new uniform and it is quite nice to have a booked slot if you can. Makes it a kind of "event" if you know what I mean. Good to know when the induction day is.
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

Optymum wrote:The other date to be aware of is the induction day. I confirmed this with Skinners on Wednesday, as I need to book the day off work. It is Thursday 9th July. Not sure of timings yet though. I have not received the induction pack E mail yet, but the lady I spoke to on Wednesday said something would be sent out this week.
It is getting closer now! DS is excited, but a little worried about making new friends. Maybe a summer get together is possible?
Thanks for confirming the date Optymum

Is this a full day at Skinners does anyone know? If not we will need to arrange lifts etc..

I wonder what activities they get up to.., exciting :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now