alibun's appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
alibun

alibun's appeal

Post by alibun »

Hi, I am in a very similar position to Eddas. Firstly I wish I'd read this forum more carefully before submitting my school preferences. Will I be penalised at appeal panels for placing the Grammar schools 3rd and 4th place?

Additionally my appeals are for non qualification, however I am aware that there are only a limited number of places and the number of appeals far greater. Does anyone know if the apppeals panel only selects enough deemed suitable for Grammar as there are places or if there are more deemed suitable for Grammar then places do they then follow their admissions policy ie local authority care, sibling, distance from school?

Finally, if someone appeals two school and gets offered a place in both what happens to the place they then turn down?

Thank you in advance to anyone who is able to answer my questions.
Eddas

Re: Kent Test appeal.Missed maths by 6 marks. Maidstone area

Post by Eddas »

Firstly, i'm not an expert but from advice on here and my research.......
Hi, I am in a very similar position to Eddas. Firstly I wish I'd read this forum more carefully before submitting my school preferences. Will I be penalised at appeal panels for placing the Grammar schools 3rd and 4th place?

As far as I know the panel won't know which order you put the schools in
Additionally my appeals are for non qualification, however I am aware that there are only a limited number of places and the number of appeals far greater. Does anyone know if the apppeals panel only selects enough deemed suitable for Grammar as there are places or if there are more deemed suitable for Grammar then places do they then follow their admissions policy ie local authority care, sibling, distance from school?
Appeals for non-qualification can be successful, so I guess it depends how many appellants have a Kent Test pass, for one of the schools I am appealing for i'm guessing there will be none or few that have passed the Kent Test at the appeals as they are undersubscribed. But I am happy to be told i'm wrong by those more qualified, this is just my opinion!
Finally, if someone appeals two school and gets offered a place in both what happens to the place they then turn down?
My understanding is that appeals places are outside of the offers from waiting lists etc so those places are not offered on if they are turned down.

Good luck Alibun, there's lots of help on here and on my thread if you have a read through, I've asked a lot of questions :D
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Any places given due to an upheld appeal that are not taken up are not re-offered.
Etienne

Re: alibun's appeal

Post by Etienne »

Welcome! :D

Do read the Q&As:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=35032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
alibun wrote:Hi, I am in a very similar position to Eddas. Firstly I wish I'd read this forum more carefully before submitting my school preferences. Will I be penalised at appeal panels for placing the Grammar schools 3rd and 4th place?
Probably not - if you explain apologetically that you didn't know what you were doing! :)
Does anyone know if the apppeals panel only selects enough deemed suitable for Grammar as there are places ...... ?
They shouldn't! There is a procedure to be followed if the school is oversubscribed with children who've qualified via the 11+ or who are judged to be qualified by an appeal panel:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... bed-school" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Eddas wrote:As far as I know the panel won't know which order you put the schools in
Even if they don't know, they might ask you.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
alibun

CAT Scores

Post by alibun »

Is anyone able to tell me what a CAT score of 99 (SAS) equates to in an equivalent SAT level
Guest55

Re: CAT Scores

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.gl-assessment.co.uk/products ... at4-levels" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Which test was it?
alibun

Post by alibun »

Guest55

It was a CAT 4 (GL assessment), my dd sat it in May of year 5 the score was for Quantative and her age was 10 & 4 months at the time.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.gl-assessment.co.uk/sites/gl ... eports.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a sample report - the school should give you results.
alibun

Post by alibun »

Guest55

The school have given me the report, however I have issues (along with Ofsted) as to their assessment of SAT levels, as this was an external test, I wondered if the score correlated to a SAT level so I could compare.