Girls grammars ranking order

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Skip

Girls grammars ranking order

Post by Skip »

Please can someone help me? I'd like to know the order in which the girls grammars rank in terms of how hard it is to secure a place. It will help me understand how hard it may be for my DD to go to her local grammar as I'd rather not have her travel too far with all the disadvantages that brings (assuming she even likes the local school). I get the impression Pate's tries to take the highest scoring children but what next in terms of the girls schools? I saw a graph someone produced on another post but didn't understand it!
FluffyCat

Re: Girls grammars ranking order

Post by FluffyCat »

Pate's offers to the highest scorers. The next would be Stroud High or High School for Girls. They require pretty similar scores - I think this year it was slightly harder to get into SHS, but in previous years it may have been harder to get into HSFG. Last (but not least) is Ribston Hall.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Thank you FluffyCat. Not the answer I was hoping for as Stroud is our local school so
I'd hoped it would rank last! But I'm still glad I know!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Go and see them - there will be one that suits your daughter better than the others.

That's the best way to choose I think.
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

^^
What Guest55 said. Also there is a bus that goes to Ribston from Stroud. I loved Ribston when I looked around it.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

They are all fab, so I would go for distance as a deciding factor as it affects much of the pupil's life. We live in Cheltenham and dd goes to Ribston which requires a 7.30 departure from home. Ds will be going to Tommies in September which will probably mean he won't need to leave until about 25 minutes later. Obviously the same will apply on return. That's about an hour (dependent upon traffic) per day which when they get into the inevitable masses of homework can mount up.

In answer to your question though, grading-wise it has been Pates, Denmark, SHS and Ribston I believe (although I think SHS may well have overtaken Denmark, I'm not sure as it's all been about boys for me recently). They all have excellent exam results so it's probably best to go and have a look and go with your gut feeling. It is generally thought that Ribston excels at Drama, dance and sports, so that may help in the decision I suppose if you can't choose.

As you know being happy is key and if they aren't, no matter where they go, they won't achieve their full potential if they aren't enjoying themselves.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Sixth form retention rates can tell you a lot.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Amber wrote:Sixth form retention rates can tell you a lot.
Good point Amber. One thing to beware of there though is a comment from a friend at mine who had a dd at one of the girls' grammars here and that was that her daughter wanted to mix with boys so moved to the mixed 6th form of a boys' grammar. I know I would have done :lol:
Amber

Post by Amber »

All the grammars are mixed at sixth form. But retention rates vary a lot. As do the numbers of new students coming in. Worth asking, that's all. :D
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Amber wrote:All the grammars are mixed at sixth form. But retention rates vary a lot. As do the numbers of new students coming in. Worth asking, that's all. :D
Ah, I hadn't realised this. Yes it would be a useful bit of information.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now