Abbot's Hill

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Macca7

Abbot's Hill

Post by Macca7 »

Any opinions on Abbot's Hill all girls school in Hemel Hempstead as I'm considering looking at for an average child. Is it worth the money or would we better at our outstanding comprehensive? Thanks
Daogroupie

Re: Abbot's Hill

Post by Daogroupie »

This is a school that girls tend to go to if they can't get into Habs or St Albans High Schools for Girls. It also has a high number of preps. There is no sixth form so you need to spend the first term of Y11 finding a new home!

However if your local outstanding comp is Beaumont or Sandringham look at the Triple Science results. Beaumont with a very middle class intake of six classes of 180 only has one class of 30 doing triple science.

If your dd is interested in Science that might be something you would want to look at. DG
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

My info might be out of date but a close family member went here, leaving around 10 years ago. She was above average ability but perhaps not very confident. She came out with excellent GCSEs and she said she loved the school, it was very nurturing and kind. SHe then went to a local grammar school and couldn't cope at all with the expected self-directed learning (and also I suspect with the fact that she was no longer top of the class). She was used to a lot more support. She lasted about a month and then went to a public school (boarding). So certainly back then it was very supportive and nurturing but in our experience maybe not preparing girls for the reality outside of school?
Macca7

Post by Macca7 »

Thanks for all your replies. Decided to go ahead and sit entrance test. The school do not provide any practise papers - will only say there is an exam on English, Maths, VR - does anyone have any experience of the entrance exam? Thanks
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Hopefully you are also sitting Habs, St Albans and NCLS. Any dd who has sat state selectives would be wasted at Abbot's Hill.

I would do exactly the same prep for the above only all the above have now abandoned VR as the local state selectives have all moved to CEM.

It will be straightforward KS2 Maths and Composition and Creative Writing. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now