Food Revolution

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Amber

Food Revolution

Post by Amber »

A cause I feel strongly about - that children ought to learn to cook - is part of a change.org petition for compulsory practical food education fronted by Jamie Oliver. It is actually aimed at reducing childhood obesity. [For some reason I can't fathom there is also a rather dreadful rap video with Ed Sheeran, Paul McCartney and someone called Hugh Jackman. You don't have to listen to that, it is grim, though the Jackman chap is worth a look :wink: ].

Anyway, please consider signing the petition - this one is worthwhile I think.

https://www.change.org/p/jamie-oliver-n ... olutionday" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Amber on Thu May 14, 2015 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tinkers

Re: Food Revolution

Post by Tinkers »

Haven't seen the video, but DD decided (to earn pocket money) to cook tea for us every night for a week.
We've nearly got to the end of the week. Chicken korma tomorrow.

And yes I think it is very important too. Sorry but food tech just doesn't seem to do the job currently.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Food tech seems to be more about constructing something (pizza) than actually learning to cook
Amber

Post by Amber »

In fact don't listen to the song! It is a dreadful ear worm. Just sign the petition. :D

Food tech is a joke. At least in terms of teaching children about food. And for some reason many parents don't seem to bother to show children what to do as much these days either. When mine were tiny and learning to cook several otherwise sensible friends opined that they couldn't be bothered with the mess of small kids cooking. But it really is worth it, isn't it Tinkers? DD cooked here tonight too - vegetarian chilli; and the pen swallower baked a cake last night by means of apology to me for requiring an afternoon in A&E.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Yes definitely worth it.
She also baked a red velvet cake this evening for her grandad as its his birthdays to the weekend.

She has absolutely no intention of doing food tech at GCSE though. Designing a loaf of bread including the packaging etc, just doesn't appeal.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think the quality of teaching of Food tech varies more than most subjects ....
doodles

Post by doodles »

Both my boys cook regularly and yes, it was horribly messy to start with but it's paying dividends now. They are both very competent and not just at cakes and baking.

Yr 11 son didn't really do food tech, it was more of a club. Yr 8 son has done food tech this year and it's been good. For food tech the enthusiasm and sense of adventure of the teacher is hugely important and luckily for him the teacher seems to want them to enjoy it.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Both my children cook quite regularly and I love it! Although they are nowhere near good enough at tidying up afterwards but they are getting better.
I am pleasantly surprised and impressed by Food Tech so far (y7). Dd only started at Feb 1/2 term but so far she has made flapjacks, muffins, fruit crumble, rock buns and Scotch pancakes (which she then insisted on cooking for herself for breakfast every day for almost a fortnight). So we are doing very nicely out of it so far!
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Part of my job involves working with diabetes. Currently, I think, there are over 30% of yr 6 children who are obese or overweight. This is a serious long term problem for the NHS as well as the impact on individuals. I think this is about so much more than learning to cook.

My kids can all cook, and do so regularly. It worries me that many children see cooking as something that involves cakes and biscuits only.

It is a vital skill.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Of course it is about more than learning to cook, much more. And I share your view that it should not be all baking (though sadly a lot of children never learn how much fun that can be). But the issue of preparing fresh food from first principles is closely linked to obesity - processed and ready meals are just not the same as home cooked food and there are so many hidden ingredients in bought products which are linked to obesity as well as other health issues. If food tech lessons yield no more than delicious baked goods, lovely as these are, and parents aren't showing children how to make actual meals, then the skills will be lost in a generation. I read recently an article, which annoyingly I can't find the link for, about a cookery course that has sprung up for graduates who are leaving university totally unable to cook and parents are shelling out a few grand for them to learn! Why not teach them in the first place?

IMHO food tech or whatever they want to call it should be replaced by a proper curriculum on food - sources, farming, nutrition, cooking and eating. Not just for the odd half term here and there but given as much emphasis as other sciences. It isn't the teachers who are deficient here (my children have always been really well taught in this area) it is the curriculum. With the over-emphasis on literacy and maths which is focused on our children becoming competitors in a global market, we have lost sight of the fact that they need to be alive and healthy to compete! What more useful subject could there be?