Number of Equal Score

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
IBhatti

Number of Equal Score

Post by IBhatti »

I tried to find this information on discussion but couldn't...
Due to its popularity thousands of applicants participating in exams...

Does anybody knows that what's the percentage of applicants staying on same numbers and Schools have to apply other rules for selection...?

And how many applicants stand in the range from 200 to top score?

Thanks,
hermanmunster

Re: Number of Equal Score

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi IBhatti and welcome

Which schools / areas are you looking at? I am aware that at some schools there will be several on the same score and they have to use distance as the discriminator
IBhatti

Post by IBhatti »

We have been told that distance will only come into as selection criterion when more than one candidates are on same number....!
Currently we are living in Rotherham, South Yorkshire and will re-locate to Birmingham once result is announced. More likely it would be one of KE schools.
If more number of students in a shorter range than I would be thinking differently, or perhaps will move before result is announced..

I've moved this to Birmingham for you.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

IBhatti wrote:We have been told that distance will only come into as selection criterion when more than one candidates are on same number....!
Currently we are living in Rotherham, South Yorkshire and will re-locate to Birmingham once result is announced. More likely it would be one of KE schools.
If more number of students in a shorter range than I would be thinking differently, or perhaps will move before result is announced..
It would be a good idea to ask the Mods to move this thread to the Birmingham etc section of the forum in the first place

You need to check with the KE Foundation, up to what date do they allow you to move closer to your school(s) of choice and have that address used to measure your distance from the school? Some areas use the address from which you apply to take the exam - if they do this in Birmingham then you need to move in beforehand, really, as no-one can guarantee in advance that their child will score so highly that other factors may not come into play.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
um

Post by um »

It depends on the score.

Around the 200 mark, there will be quite a lot of children on the same score.

Around the 150 or 250 mark, you are further down the curve so there will be far fewer children on the same score.

Yes, if scores are equal the BHam consortium do prioritise on distance to the school.

But to be honest I would not make that a reason to move closer to the school before the exam. This will only affect a small amount of children on the 'boundary' score.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Have you thought about the Grammar schools in Halifax,Heckmondwike,Ripon and Skipton?

I know none are in South Yorkshire these are at least in North Yorkshire and West Yorkshire, which are a little closer rather than a move halfway across the country and all its consequent upheavals.

I can understand your reasons for moving.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

quasimodo wrote:Have you thought about the Grammar schools in Halifax,Heckmondwike,Ripon and Skipton?

I know none are in South Yorkshire these are at least in North Yorkshire and West Yorkshire, which are a little closer rather than a move halfway across the country and all its consequent upheavals.
Tbh, there's not much difference in distance. The OP would still have to move house.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Tinkers wrote:
quasimodo wrote:Have you thought about the Grammar schools in Halifax,Heckmondwike,Ripon and Skipton?

Tbh, there's not much difference in distance. The OP would still have to move house.
The reason I made this comment my family used to commute on a daily basis from Huddersfield to Rotherham for business purposes over 30 years ago.From Rotherham to Heckmondwike is a distance of about 29 miles and takes about 41 minutes.

If you look at the admission policy for Heckmondwike Grammar three quarters of admissions are out of area although preference is given to applicants in a catchment area.

Your point is well made for the other schools.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
JaneM

Post by JaneM »

Hi IBhatti

I appreciate your dilemma. I'm not sure either whether the Foundation use the address you apply from or the one you subsequently may move to once getting the results, I agree you should definitely check that. But of course the other issue is that Birmingham is pretty big and the grammar schools are relatively spread out. So if you wanted to maximise your chances with regard to the distance criteria you would also have to be sure of which school your DC is most likely to be offered a place at. It's a terrible gamble. So for example for our three top scoring schools Camp Hill Boys, then Fiveways, then Camp Hill Girls there are several miles between Kings Heath (CH) and Bartley Green (FW). Not to mention differences in house prices, proximity to the city centre, transport links etc which would all have to come into consideration if you were buying - or renting - a house here. There's a good 10 point difference in score needed between CHB and FW.

My DS scored 230 this year and I personally know that there were 3 other boys and 2 girls in his year who all got 230 (in a year group of 90). We live in Moseley/Kings Heath area. If he were a girl this would have been enough to get him into any GS in Birmingham once the waiting list started moving and it wouldn't have mattered where we lived (even Rotherham!). As a boy he was offered FW (after others living closer) and as you will see on the waiting list thread the score required there is now about 228. But for Camp Hill Boys (our closest school, less than 1.5 miles away) he still would not stand any chance.

However being able to predict his position this time last year (one way or the other) would have been impossible. When I saw the results slip in October, and based on the wealth of information and analysis available here I absolutely knew there was no chance of him getting Camp Hill. However I was very surprised that he wasn't offered FW initially which shows that even at the result stage the allocation of places is by no means certain as it is so dependent on the demand for places from other DPs.

I wish you the very best of luck in making the right choice for your DC. Do keep us posted!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Incidentally,have you researched which areas have primary school places for your child to be slotted into at possibly very short notice? How does your DC feel about being uprooted at this point (do they know anyone in Birmingham?). Or have you just presented it as something that is for their own good and is going to happen anyway?

JaneM - with regard to location, would it be easier to be centrally located, therefore evening out the distance to the various schools? Assuming that some of the regeneration projects around the city centre include residential accommodation as well as commercial? (DS1 will be taking up an unconditional offer to study at Birmingham in September but I must admit that on my last visit there I was too busy trying to get my bearings to work out exactly what all the building sites were going to turn into :shock: ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now