Appeal Today

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
caz34red

Appeal Today

Post by caz34red »

Hi All,

I have just returned from my Appeal today, still shaking actually!! It was at 10.20am in Aylesbury. I am writing this out now while it is still clear in my head.

We went into the appeal on time, but I presume we were the 2nd of the day. I was told by the Clerk that they are dealing with 6 and there are 6 going on at the same time (so 36 in a day). The Panel put us at ease, the Clerk was very nice and the LEA Rep also seemed quite nice (believe me I was expecting someone with 3 heads reading some of the threads). The panel introduced themselves, and asked us for clarification of ourselves. My daughters Father and I are divorced and I think they were a little confused.

The LEA Rep did her argument against. A Panel member asked a question at the end regarding the OoS, and asked was it relevant to the test scores, (I got confused at this point as I thought she doesn't know what an OoS is) but I think she was trying to draw out if it was an accurate measure of those who were expected and those that did pass. I must admit to being a bit worried here, but it came across that it was fairly accurate and my DD was well placed.

I then handed in my extra evidence to the Panel (a GP's letter and our statement we were going to read out) I was unable to get it there before the papers were sent out. We and the LEA Rep were asked to leave the room so that they could read it, the Rep read it outside. We were then called back into the room. My ex and I decided to split the statement before hand so that we both were able to talk. My ex read out the academic evidence. DD scored 116/115, Head ranked her as a 2:1, she was 13th on the OoS, 25 were ranked, 22 were expected to pass, 16 passed, 11 ahead of my DD, 5 after, 2 with a score of 120, we did not over elborate here just said the Heads OoS seemed to be pretty accurate which they agreed. Predicted SATs scores of 5B IN English and Science and 5C in Maths. He then went on to previous results, NFER VR Year 4 score 133, Year 5 Score 131, plus a Optional QCA SATs reading of 130. He then said it was strongly supported by the HT and the Year 6 teacher, a good year 5 report in English, Maths and Science, as well as a letter of support from the Dr regarding the circumstances. (a Comment here was it makes a change for a Dr to support a case, he was very good and he did not charge me, although I shall not tell the practice manager!!)

I then did the circumstances as it was relevant to me. I was going to read it off the sheet but did not want to sound staccato so basically said it as it was. I was very nervous. They all agreed that it was a difficult time. The pregnancy impacted on the lead up and on the exams. I had a letter of confirmation that I was in hospital 8 times in the 3 weeks before the papers and gave birth in between the 2 dates (7th Oct). They all seemed to agree and the type of questions that came up were, was the summer holiday affected (which it was), was she nervous on the day (yes she was), I explained the school had called us in twice before hand because she was quiet and subdued and her work was affected. They asked were the practice papers affected, I tried to cover over this slightly as I was not sure how they would read it, bascially they were the first two were lowish scores which is how the school were alerted to her underperformance, basically she was not completing 20% of the paper but was doing well in the answers that she managed. All I said here were the practice papers were affected, and left it at that. One member asked did she finish the paper, I said she did but only just as her mind just was not on the job in hand at the time as I was in hospital and she was more worried about me at the time. I then said that her work standard had now returned to normal and she loved her baby brother, (she had mixed emotions prior to his birth, being the eldest she was a little overwhelmed).

One member asked does she read books for pleasure, I figured this was a filler, so just said she is an avid reader and has just read the Golden Compass trilogy, as well as Treasure Island. They said what else and just basically said she played the violin, they asked had she done any grades, yes she has, they said was she good at art, again yes she is.

I really could not read it and neither could my ex, hopefully we have done our best for her. To be honest as much as I would love her to be at a Grammar, it is not the end of the world, I have tried not to let it affect me, especially not my xmas, I have 3 other children to worry about.

We took in with us her, English, Maths and Science books, one member pointed out as we were leaving, she is very good at art, she was looking at a picture in one of her books. We also took in a test paper for English she did after the 11+, she scored a 5C in a short letter and 5 overall.

We thanked the panel for listening to us and left. The LEA chatted to us outside and wished us luck. She was very nice.

So now we have to wait. I am now going to try and put it to the back of my mind, as there is absolutely nothing I can do about it now, and what will be, will be. But the whole experience was nerve wracking but the panel were doing there job and we were given a fair go.

I wish everyone else good luck.

Caroline
Caz34red
caz34red

Post by caz34red »

Forgot to say in the previous mail, thank you Etienne and Sally-Anne for all your help with this appeal you have really helped me do the best that I could possibly could have done. I am so glad to have found this it really is a wonderful site and I am sure you have helped so many parents out there, so thanks again.

Caroline
Caz34red
chad

Post by chad »

Thank you Caroline for posting your experience of an appeal....

It will hopefully give others a better idea of what happens and calm some of their nerves.

From what you have said I doubt you could have done any more.

I wish you all the best for your result. :)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I agree with Chad. A lot of parents will be very grateful to you, Caroline, for such a detailed account.

Thank you too for your kind words.
Etienne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Caroline

You have done a very, very effective job indeed and that post is going to be very informative for other parents going through the process.

I am particuarly impressed with the way that you laid out your case in such an organised fashion - academic proof, followed by rational handling of the mitigating circumstances. You also were alert to the pitfalls of certain questions and recognised filler questions for what they were.

You have really done the very best you can for your daughter. I have my fingers firmly crossed for you (hard to type like that, but hey - who cares?).

It has been a pleasure helping you with your case, and thank you for your kind words.

I shall be watching and waiting anxiously for your news.

Best wishes
Sally-Anne
Hope

Post by Hope »

Thank you for sharing your appeal experience, as a parent with an appeal in Feb it was really helpful. It sounds like you have done all you can, fingers crossed for you.
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Caz34red,

Well done to you!

You have done everything you could possibly be asked to do (and some..)
Take comfort in the knowledge that you have tried your best for your daughter.

I will keep everything crossed for you and hope that you will have some good news soon.

Take care for now..

AM
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Well done CAz34red - hope to hear some good news soon!
caz34red

Post by caz34red »

Thank you all for your kind messages of support. :D

As soon as I know anything I will let you know.

Kind Regards and Good Luck to all still awaiting appeals out there.

Caroline
Caz34red
Russell

Post by Russell »

I wanted to add my comment as Caz's ex husband.

Just to say and share with the Forum, thank you and well done for the effort that you have put in over the past weeks to pull together the necessary information for today. I think you did a great job and now all we can do is hope that the panel can view the appeal favourably. I'm keeping my fingers crossed too.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now