Alterative test date experiences?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
LadyPenelope

Alterative test date experiences?

Post by LadyPenelope »

Hi there

I am reluctantly registering my daughter for the CSSE alternative test date as she is not able to sit the test on 19 September. I would ideally have liked my daughter to sit the same paper as the vast majority of others and I can't help wondering how CSSE ensure that it is an equal playing field for all.

Does anyone have any positive experiences of sitting the alternative test date? I'd be reassured to hear from someone who knows of a child who sat the test on the alternative date and made it grammar school!

Thanks

LadyP
ToadMum

Re: Alterative test date experiences?

Post by ToadMum »

Unfortunately, the only child I know who sat the test on the reserve date (one of DS2's friends, for 2014 entry) didn't pass, but it was a bit of a long shot anyway, tbh.

Out of interest, why do you think reserve date sitters are disadvantaged?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
LadyPenelope

Post by LadyPenelope »

Thanks for your reply ToadMum. I can't really put my finger on why I feel the way I do. Just a nagging doubt.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

I fairly sure someone on the forum secured a place at CRGS from the reserve date a couple of years ago as their DS was ill on the main day. There shouldnt be any disadvantage from sitting the other paper. The only problems I can see is that you will not get a back up date if your DD is ill and you may not get your first choice of school at which to sit the exam, as not all schools run the second date.
LadyPenelope

Post by LadyPenelope »

Thanks Minesatea. Yes, its true there is no back up plan if you opt in the first instance for the alternative test date. That is another concern. As it happens, I believe our choice of school to sit the test is an option on the alternative date, so that's one positive! Its good to hear that you don't think there is any disadvantage to sitting the later test. Thanks again.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

For 2014 entry the reserve venue for the Southend / Westcliff schools was SHSG and for 2015 entry it was SHSB. I helped out at the SHSB session and there were about 96 sitters, including a whole school's worth from a school which had booked its year six residential for the weekend of the main sitting and a girl from somewhere in Metropolitan Essex who told me that she was taking the test so that she could go to 'X' school, which definitely wasn't a Consortium school, wherever it was :? . (I don't know whether it was the child or the parents who were totally confused - it seemed a bit rude to ask!).

I would assume that the venue down here would be one of the Westcliff schools this year, but it might not work like that, of course.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
fausto

Post by fausto »

Minesatea - You are right, it was my son who was ill and sat the alternate test date and scored 370.855 and gained a place at CRGS and is currently in Year 7.

Lady P - we had a very stressful time as my son was really poorly and was incapable of lasting more than a few minutes without a rattling cough. On the Friday we saw our GP and then spoke to both the CSSE and CRGS. We were asked by the CSSE to ask for a seperate room at CRGS .. which was, rather obviously, laughed at by CRGS. We were given permission to sit the alernative date. I spent the evening crying and racked with worry.

My son sat the alternate test at the Colchester girls grammar and it was very calm and peaceful. The staff were really friendly, he had 3 biscuits (the high point of the morning) and the environment was very supportive and positive.

When I spoke to parents who sat the main date at CRGS I actually concluded that my DS had a much better experience and environment, but most importantly he was well enough to do his best.

Hope that helps.
LadyPenelope

Post by LadyPenelope »

Thanks ToadMum and thank you Fausto. Well done to your son. Its great to hear a very positive experience of the alternative test date. Feeling a bit better about it now!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now