Appeals trumping waiting list

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Shropshire Lass

Appeals trumping waiting list

Post by Shropshire Lass »

Can you advise?
We are on a waiting list for a boys Grammar (score well above last years cut-off but we put in a late entry).
I thought there are bound to be some who turn down an offer and by definition, the reserve list will be populated by lower scores - we should be at or near the top. However, we still haven't heard anything. I'm guessing that's because they will deal with all the appeals before looking at the reserves - can you advise? Do appeals get priority? If so, they may not get around to the reserve list at all!
ToadMum

Re: Appeals trumping waiting list

Post by ToadMum »

If you are a qualified late application then (possibly after a certain time) you should be added to the waiting list as if you had always been there, so to speak. Schools are not meant to stop admitting from the waiting list pending the outcome of appeals so have you checked with the school or relevant LEA to see exactly where your DS actually is on the list? I am assuming that there are no further complications such as priority areas etc coming into play?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Shropshire Lass

Thank you ToadMum, that's probably it. They are just introducing geographical priority - I thought that didn't start till next year but I think you are right. I'll see if the school will tell us where we stand although previous threads have said they refused that information.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Shropshire Lass wrote:Thank you ToadMum, that's probably it. They are just introducing geographical priority - I thought that didn't start till next year but I think you are right. I'll see if the school will tell us where we stand although previous threads have said they refused that information.
That is just plain bizarre - why won't they tell you? Or should you be asking the LEA instead? Not very helpful, anyway.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to the forum! :D

It's more a question of timing rather than of priority.

The two processes are independent of one another, and each has its own timetable.
Admission authorities should continue to operate their waiting lists as normal. As ToadMum rightly points out, they are not meant to stop admitting from the waiting list to make room for the possibility of successful appeals

Year 7 allocations are usually done in batches until things have settled down. (For example, after the initial offers at the beginning of March, there is usually a second round of allocations in April.)
Places can only be allocated from the waiting list if there are vacancies.

Appeals are different, because an appeal panel can admit children over and above the admission number.
This can impact on the waiting list, even though the two processes are separate.
See the example in C17:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... school#c17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have you appealed? If not, it might be worth trying a late appeal.
Etienne
Shropshire Lass

Thank you both. I guess the first thing is to find out where we are on the list!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now