11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
rejim2

maths help!!

Post by rejim2 »

maths help please...

Question 1.
10,13, 16, 19...... is the sequence. Would 52 comes in the sequence. Show working to justify your answer.

( how to reach the answer quickly, any tips!!)

Question 2.
Find the largest number which when divided into 181 and 217 will leave a remainder of 1 in each case.

Many Thanks..
Guest55

Re: maths help!!

Post by Guest55 »

rejim2 wrote:maths help please...

Question 1.
10,13, 16, 19...... is the sequence. Would 52 comes in the sequence. Show working to justify your answer.

( how to reach the answer quickly, any tips!!)

Question 2.
Find the largest number which when divided into 181 and 217 will leave a remainder of 1 in each case.

Many Thanks..
Q1 All the numbers are one more than a multiple of 3 - so does that help?

Q2 If there is a remainder of one then the number must divide 180 and 216 exactly; does that help?
Tagore

Post by Tagore »

rejim2,
For the first question, try working out the formula for the n(th) term. The constant difference between each successive term is 3. Thus, the n (th) term would have 3n in the expression. Now try and work out how you will get from 3n to the first value in the sequence, 10 i.e. what would you add or subtract from 3n when n=1 to result the first term in the sequence. Once you have worked this out, test your expression for at least one other term, say when n=2. If you are satisfied with your expression for the n(th) term, then proceed to find out if 52 is indeed one of the terms in the sequence. Bit long winded but better then giving you an answer - I hope.

The second question is one of HCF. Subtract 1 (the remainder) from each of the numbers and you are left with 180 and 216. I think I have said enough. If you are still having difficulties with either of the questions, feel free to send me a PM.

Have a nice day
Tagore
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Tagore - you don't need to work out a formula for the nth term - did you see my comment?
rejim2

Post by rejim2 »

Thank-you very much both Tagore and Guest55 !

Got it!!
Tagore

Post by Tagore »

Guest55 wrote:Tagore - you don't need to work out a formula for the nth term - did you see my comment?
G55
Our posts must have crossed. As always, you are absolutely correct.
Tagore
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now