Bank Holidays

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SteveDH

Bank Holidays

Post by SteveDH »

Just curious.
At DD's university they don't exist, just wondering if this is the same everywhere or if other universities take bank holidays.
Steve
Yamin151

Re: Bank Holidays

Post by Yamin151 »

Don't know about uni, but when I was at school we never had bank holidays either, and of course hospitals etc don't.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

SteveDH wrote:Just curious.
At DD's university they don't exist, just wondering if this is the same everywhere or if other universities take bank holidays.
Steve
At my dds University they don't take account of Bank holidays and she is in her exam semester which runs until the 3rd June.

Even the term "Bank holiday" is a misnomer with a number of Bank branches open today in a number of major centres it is no longer a bank holiday.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Yamin151 wrote:Don't know about uni, but when I was at school we never had bank holidays either, and of course hospitals etc don't.
So do all outpatient clinics etc carry on as normal where you are? Definitely not in the trust DH works for (says she, having checked quickly that he was actually meant to be at home today :lol: ). The leisure centre we use has just gone onto a continuous programme for swimming lessons rather than following school terms, though - it will be interesting to see how many people turn up this week (leaving aside those whose parents had already booked holidays before we were told of the change)!

I was at LSE in the 80s and I'm fairly sure we had bank holidays there then. I must admit I hadn't given it much thought.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

No, in fairness I think there would be no 'elective' stuff in hospitals. Although that is changing, I had an ultrasound at 7.30pm the other night. But of course all the wards, emergency etc will carry on.
KB

Post by KB »

None of the 3 unis I am aware of recently take account of the May bank holidays - either teaching or research.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

DS has also had exams on a saturday.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

DSis works for a uni (not teaching staff), she gets bank holidays.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now