IB vs A Levels

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
willowsticks

IB vs A Levels

Post by willowsticks »

Year12 applications are now being submitted and we are applying for both IB and A levels courses. The problem is my ds is unsure of what to read at university. He keeps switching between Economis and Law and yet his strongest subjects are the three sciences.

Based on his uncertaint, I think the IB would be the better route for him, but he is worried that it seem more demanding than A levels. However he was quite impressed by one of the institution that do the IB on their information evening.

Is there anyone out there considering the IB or with experience please. I would like to hear from you. :|
Guest55

Re: IB vs A Levels

Post by Guest55 »

Compare uni offers .. IB are far higher so I'd be cautious.

You also have to take five options ... not ideal for those strong in science. The compulsory 'volunteering' as part of IB seems very strange to me.
KB

Post by KB »

Agree with the above.

Double check by researching specific courses at Unis of the appropriate level but as a generalisation:

Economics: maths is the only required subject
Law : science is well thought of although some might prefer evidence of a subject with more essay writing.

I would go for A levels & if only 3 then maths, chemistry & physics will keep most options open & it sounds like give best opportunity for top grades. If he has option of a 4th ( even just to AS if being offered) then English or History or Classics are good choices for Law.
If he absolutely set on Law & only 3 option are available then choosing one of the afore mentioned is probably better if he can still get a top grade.
marigold

Post by marigold »

My daughter is doing the IB and it has turned out to be the best possible decision for her. It is 6 subjects , three at higher level three at standard, with maths, a science and a language all compulsory but which can be done at either level. They also have to study the theory of knowledge which is examined by an essay and a presentation.

Guest 55, Re the compulsory volunteering, she went each Thursday afternoon last year to help in a homework club based in a village hall in a deprived area of our town. She helped children from year 4 to year 10 whose parents were unable to support their children themselves or perhaps even provide space in the home for them to do their homework. What on earth is " strange " about that ? Girls from her school who were doing A levels were also involved as her school encourages all pupils to get involved in the local community.

There is also compulsory PE , fantastic for her as she is prone to slothdom and the extended essay on any subject they fancy ( similar to an EPQ ) provided a wealth of research to mention on the old PS.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There is nothing strange about volunteering if it is that.

However I have heard that some schools 'make' IB students volunteer ... that is not in the spirit of what sixth formers should be doing.

IB is not ideal for students wanting to study science at uni.
KB

Post by KB »

For some pupils the IB may be the more appropriate and with the changes to A levels possibly reducing breadth further it is something to consider.
The issue in this particular case was whether IB is suitable for a student who strength is in science .
I would still say that if doors can be kept open for non- science options ( Economics, Law) at degree level while also studying sufficient science & maths to keep that route open then its the better choice in this case.

The 'danger' with IB is that the flip side of providing bredth is whether it provides sufficient depth of preparation for science degrees.

If the student is absolutely sure about Law then the IB could provide the bredth of study that some Universities look for. Do remember G55's point though and check if the admissions requirements are harder for IB than A level .
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

We have been looking into the IB as I think it would suit DD better than A levels. The general opinion seems to be that it suits those preferring languages/humanites rather than the scientists. However in OPs case, most IB centres will allow option 6 (arts/performing arts) to be dropped for a second science or langauge so he could take maths plus two sciences and then add english, an MFL and a humanity for breadth. This should leave most options still available to him, but he would need to research possible uni courses carefully as some are fussy with regard to which subjects are taken at the higher level.
moved

Post by moved »

I like the IB but it wouldn't have suited DS who hated English. DD may have been fine, but her school didn't offer Environmental Science so she would have to have taken a science.

The standard is too close to A level in most subjects but sadly often viewed as an AS. Standard level maths covers a huge amount more than AS maths and the higher level maths covers a good chunk of further maths. I think the ab initio opportunities within it are great if they are offered by the school. If schools want to offer the IB then they need to ensure that they can provided opportunities for their candidates to take a soft option within the mix and universities need to accept just how rigorous a qualification it really is and stop asking for unreasonable offers.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

IB suits an all rounder as there is nowhere to hide. But it's not for the faint hearted and people who have not been through it do not tend to fully appreciate it. Parents struggle :lol:
If there is a weakness in English, Maths, Science or Languages this will effect the overall grade so go for A levels.
My 1st DD, an all rounder, did IB and loved it. My 2nd DD would hate it.
Now at Uni DD1 has said that doing the IB has helped.
With some of the work she is doing, she has already covered parts of it at IB.
Unis tend to offer higher than for A levels, however the IB results come out earlier by about a month and those missing out by a point or two do still tend to get offers confirmed.
She applied for 5 top Unis, got and met all 5 offers. The hardest thing was declining the offers to leave 1st and reserve choice.
franticmum

Post by franticmum »

May I enquire what is suggested when the IB is said to be unsuitable for science at uni?

Is it because you can only take 2 out of three sciences in the IB or is it because it does not cover the depth that a-levels cover in each subject (although I have heard many thoughts as to whether the IB is harder or easier per subject)?

Also, when said 'science' at university, do we mean those with science entry requirements such as medicine/vet studies which are also obviously heavy on science in the uni course or are we talking 'raw' science courses?