School blazers

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
frangipani

School blazers

Post by frangipani »

Time to buy school uniform soon but I'm finding I can't decide which quality of blazer to buy for DS.

His new school have an option of polyester only or poly/viscose blend. The latter version being an extra £11.

Does anybody have experience of these blazer types and is it worth the extra cost for the poly/viscose version? I personally only have experience of the polyester blazers as my other DC's have only had the one option. I know I could ask the supplier but I imagine they will try to sell the more expensive option, and I would prefer an honest opinion of whether they are worth it.

If any of you can offer an opinion it would be much appreciated...
pushymother

Re: School blazers

Post by pushymother »

Should be doing paperwork but can't face it. Here is some google research for you to make your decision....

Polyester
Used for raincoats, fleece jackets, children's nightwear, medical textiles and working clothes and has the following qualities:
low warmth
non-absorbent, dries quickly
soft handle
good drape
very durable
crease resistant
easy care
can be recycled

Viscose

A regenerated fibre from natural polymer materials like cellulose. It is used for shirts, dresses and linings and has the following qualities:
low warmth
absorbent, dries slowly
soft handle
good drape
not durable
creases easily
can be washed and ironed

Some comments on a random blog from some women...
"Viscose is rayon and I love it if it is good quality. It is a celulose fiber made of regenerated scraps thrown together, mushed up, threaded, then woven. I usually wash my clothing made from it. If the weave is a twill, I notice more shrinkage and size up. But, I wash and dry silk too. Cold water and air or delicate cycles of washer and dryer. Rayon drapes beautifully and breathes like natural fiber."

"I think viscose can be a version of rayon, both are man made, but from natural fibers. Like celulose or something. Anyway, I find it to be quite breathable and preferable to polyester any day of the week "

"I like viscose a lot, but as all materials you get good and bad quality. Some items I have, are almost worn out / washed out due to bad quality.

Other viscose items have last for years and years and are still looking good.

I prefer viscose before polyester because of it breaths and can easily be washed. Though not too good in cold temp because it is a "cold fibre". But I don't like polyester because it gets sticky (and I get a rash), do not breath and feels cold against the skin, not like natural fibres that sort of follows your body temp."

Good luck :)
um

Post by um »

My experience with boys is that any type of blazer will start to fall apart after a year! And are sometimes grown out of before that.
I have no idea what my boys do with their blazers.
My daughter's (same quality) seems fine after almost a full school year.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Go with the cheaper one ...
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

+ 1

And I got ours second hand for a fiver! And the indie school one for free. in fact, three of them, I'll never have to buy. Amazingly good what you can source second hand. Always worth checking if the school has a uniform sale.
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

New blazer from John Lewis school uniform section, its still going strong. Pays your money, takes your choice
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

That's fab, and would be for anyone whose sons didn't grow out of it in a year, which o suspect a lot do. And I guess it's a matter of standards. With one gorgeous woollen blazer and one cheapo I suspect polyester one, both have lasted the whole year,both look equally scruffy when littered with dog hair (the main problem in this house!), the polyester one looks a bit 'shiny' but as it gets dragged around like an old teddy and flung into goodness knows what scrappy position at school, we are happy to put up with it not being that wonderful close up. Does the business from a distance!!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Which one makes the best goal.post in a field at lunch or after school?

I just wish they had zippy pockets tbh, as so much seems to fall out of blazer pockets, probably again when dumped on the floor.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

sbarnes wrote:New blazer from John Lewis school uniform section, its still going strong. Pays your money, takes your choice
Contrast brand new blazer bought for DS1 from one of our named suppliers which by the end of a couple of terms had needed most of its 'joins' sewing up again. To be fair, though, DS2 has now worn the same garment for nearly a year with only one or two running repairs so perhaps it has reached a sort of 'steady state' :lol: . Nevertheless, I think its fate will be to have its buttons harvested (difficult to find shade of green) then to be added to a Hennes donation bag. Might as well get something back for all my sewing.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

southbucks3 wrote:Which one makes the best goal.post in a field at lunch or after school?

I just wish they had zippy pockets tbh, as so much seems to fall out of blazer pockets, probably again when dumped on the floor.

:lol: