Prepay Money Cards

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
doodles

Prepay Money Cards

Post by doodles »

DS1 is off to Hong Kong and New Zealand next month for over three weeks. He obviously needs to take quite a bit of money with him and a pre-loaded money card (that we can top up from this end in an emergency) seems to be the best way to go.

Thomas Cook, The Post Office and Caxton all seem to do something suitable but does anybody have any experience / recommendations as to the best one for NZ ( HK not such a problem as he's only there for 3 days and can take enough cash to cover that bit of the trip).

Any suggestions?
Last edited by doodles on Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quasimodo

Re: Prepay Money Cards

Post by quasimodo »

I have been looking at the issue myself for my eldest dd when she goes on her year abroad in 4 weeks.If you google money saving expert and prepaid travel cards the website will come up to offer the appropriate advice.Unfortunately the link I have tried posting doesn't get you onto the appropriate page.Sorry.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

We've used the Caxton one around the world (not NZ, although in some much less "civilised" countries :)) with no problems.
scary mum
doodles

Post by doodles »

Help any more ideas as all the prepay cards are for over 18 and he's only 16. His visa debit card doesn't work out in New Zealand either. I'm going round in circles.

Does anyone know if travellers cheques are easy to cash in New Zealand?
Ally

Post by Ally »

I just had a quick web search and looked at moneysavingexpert. I read that at least one of the card they mention, the main card holder has to be over 18yr (you) but other card holder have to be over 13yr. So might be worth another look.
doodles

Post by doodles »

I know, it's the travelex one, but I rang them three times and got the same answer that that is wrong and they have to be 18 :cry: Thank you though.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Sorry no NZ experience here but elsewhere Fairfax have been good. IS it not possible to take it out in your name and then just let him use it or am I being a bit dim?
mad?
doodles

Post by doodles »

Not being dim mad and I think that's what it may come to!

Perhaps I need to go back into banking and develop a prepay international debit card for teens, there must be thousands going on school trips!!
mad?

Post by mad? »

doodles wrote: Perhaps I need to go back into banking and develop a prepay international debit card for teens, there must be thousands going on school trips!!
Haha yes!
A bit shocking really compared to our day isn't it?
mad?
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

http://www.money.co.uk/prepaid-cards/te ... -cards.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know whether this link might prove helpful.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln