Young Person's Travel Pass

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

klmh1968

Young Person's Travel Pass

Post by klmh1968 »

How do people feel about KCC increasing cost of the pass to £250 (yet another increase in the last two years) but are proposing that any family with more than two children requiring a pass will only have to pay for the first two?
tonbridgemum

Re: Young Person's Travel Pass

Post by tonbridgemum »

Well, I won't be buying passes for September. This year we didn't buy a sixth form pass (£400) for DC1 and now wont renew DC2 as cannot afford the increase (again). DC will walk the three miles on the days they cant get a lift.

Its such a shame they couldn't balance the books and hold the price as it really does not encourage parents not to use their cars and add to the hideous traffic problems in some areas, particularly west kent.

I watched the webcast, available via the KCC website on the cabinet meeting where the decision to go ahead was taken. Interesting viewing.

The Buy Two Get One Free offer (as they were referring to it as) is still a suggestion. It wont be for September I don't think.
The other thing that came out of the meeting was paying for the pass termly. At the moment you can split the payment in to two but the proposal (again, to look into) was allowing a termly option. This would obviously help with budgeting but also in later years, some children might not need a summer pass due to exams etc.
Medmama

Post by Medmama »

I'll have to pay nearly £800 per school year as we are Medway residents (neighbour is Kent, so very close to boundary!). My daughter goes to the nearest primary (which is also a KCC schoool :shock: :(
PurpleDog

Post by PurpleDog »

I haven't even thought about it yet, but I guess as we haven't had anything to compare it to, we will just go with the flow.

Hope it doesn't keep going up at that rate!
Loopy Lou

Post by Loopy Lou »

What exactly is the young persons travel pass?! How does this differ from a train pass?
klmh1968

Post by klmh1968 »

Young Person's travel pass is for use on buses. Unfortunately there is no concession for train tickets so have to pay an absolute fortune for those. Was planning on purchasing both for my DD to give her a bit more flexibility re travelling home but she will have to stick to the train.
Colmans

Post by Colmans »

Ours is done. The on line application is a complete pain.

The cost reduces to £100 for the year for FSM children, which can be paid over 2 half years.

I think its good value but I can imagine for lots of families its just more expense on top of new uniforms and all the other expense of starting new schools.

If KCC want to promote the use of public transport they should allow the kids to use the pass at weekends as well
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now