"Best" grammar schools for added value

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
2outof3

"Best" grammar schools for added value

Post by 2outof3 »

I know that every data set has flaws, but I thought this table would be useful for people when looking at all aspects of a school.

https://www.goodschoolsguide.co.uk/help ... tab_review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(I can't take credit for finding the link, someone else posted it on the gcse board.)

The table ranks grammar schools for their added value scores over 3 years (2012-2014) in relation to gcse results.

It's very easy to just order your school preferences according to which has the highest headline rate of A* (or similar) but actually looking at how much a school can help a child progress from where that child starts at age 11 is probably as important (if not more so?)

Anyway, out of 162 grammars Nonsuch comes in at 4, Wallington County Grammar at 5, Tiffin Girls 8, Wally girls 21, Sutton Grammar 25, Wilsons 34 and Tiffin Boys 44.

Of course, the higher the cohort at entry into that school, the harder it is to add value so that has to be taken into account as well :D
tiffinboys

Re: "Best" grammar schools for added value

Post by tiffinboys »

Somehow, my younger DC liked Nonsuch more than the 'other' grammar. :wink: perhaps, she has better sense of Value-added.
newdud

Post by newdud »

Thank you for posting the link.
It has some useful information.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Which type of 'value-added' is this?
There are major issues with this table - for example, any child with no KS2 resuts is not included in the calculation.

Schools with lots of level 5 entants will find it easier not harder to get value-added as those 'level 5s' are probably an underestimate of the initial level.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now