CSSE: Writing instructions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2childdad

CSSE: Writing instructions

Post by 2childdad »

Dear All

Newbie to the forum but have learnt a huge amount by reading through posts from different members. I am a bit confused and would appreciate responses on this :? :? .

How are children expected to write instructions in the CSSE exam? Would it need to be bulleted or numbered? Does it need time connectives? Does it need headings? Do the materials need to be listed?

How are Children expected to fit in these within 5-6 lines in the CSSE paper? Are these marked irrespective of whether they follow the SATs paper guidelines or are these followed strictly? :roll:

Thanks in advance
ToadMum

Re: CSSE: Writing instructions

Post by ToadMum »

2childdad wrote:Dear All

Newbie to the forum but have learnt a huge amount by reading through posts from different members. I am a bit confused and would appreciate responses on this :? :? .

How are children expected to write instructions in the CSSE exam? Would it need to be bulleted or numbered? Does it need time connectives? Does it need headings? Do the materials need to be listed?

How are Children expected to fit in these within 5-6 lines in the CSSE paper? Are these marked irrespective of whether they follow the SATs paper guidelines or are these followed strictly? :roll:

Thanks in advance
Given that the mark scheme for the familiarisation paper mentions that punctuation is important, I would assume that proper sentences would be expected, rather than bullet points (unless your DC is really running out of time when complete instructions or whatever as bullet points rather than very incomplete pieces written in full sentences might be better). The section is labelled Continuous Writing, as well, which I would take to be a pointer.

Continuous Writing 15 marks
This will be marked as one piece of work and the candidate will be assessed on accuracy,
spelling, punctuation, the quality of writing and originality.

Last edited by ToadMum on Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

No idea sorry. Like toadmum I am assuming that it is a flowing piece of writing in full sentances but as there has not been a specific mark scheme released we are just guessing.
2childdad

Post by 2childdad »

Thank you both for your responses - much appreciated. I hope that that those who actually mark these papers show some flexibility rather than following guidelines.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

2childdad wrote:Thank you both for your responses - much appreciated. I hope that that those who actually mark these papers show some flexibility rather than following guidelines.
Umm... However it is marked, it would have to be fair and consistent, so I would personally hope that there would be very well-written guidelines for the markers.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
2childdad

Post by 2childdad »

You are correct, of course from a fair and consistency point of view.

However, is'nt some inconsistency inevitable in writing, unlike other sections in English or Maths?
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Some English teachers swap schools when marking to help with consistency.
Dotty12345

Post by Dotty12345 »

Hi

If it is of any help, my daughter wrote the instructions as a continuous piece of writing and got a good mark for her English paper, a raw score of 47/60 (obviously, we do not know how this piece of writing was marked and if this is was what was expected).

Good luck xx
2childdad

Post by 2childdad »

Hi Dotty12345

That is really helpful and strengthens the view espoused before by other members. Thanks for sharing your views.
Godsgrace

Post by Godsgrace »

Hi All,
Just wondering if more paper would be provided if required for the kids for the continuous writing ?