Open Days for 2016 entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Guest55

Open Days for 2016 entry

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/media/3082839 ... -entry.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please note that a couple of schools have Open Evenings in June and July ie soon!
Dollydripmat

Re: Open Days for 2016 entry

Post by Dollydripmat »

Oh yes....do go and see them if you can in the summer months....it was nice and light and it was lovely walking around without the dark nights creeping in. Dollyxx
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I didn't realise RGS had a boarding facility. I take it you don't need a Bucks address to get a place, or do you :?:
bgh

Post by bgh »

AFAIK you don't need to live in Buckinghamshire but you do need to have qualified under the Bucks 11+.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Do make sure you go round during the school day as well as these 'show' Evening events.
bgh

Post by bgh »

Do parents generally take their children out of school to visit during the school day? Do primary schools and the visited secondary schools tend to accept that?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

We did take DS to the two schools of most interest after we'd all gone to the Open Evening ...

It was harder to negotiate time off for me as I'm a teacher.
Lillie

Post by Lillie »

Personally speaking, I would recommend an open day or attend a day time tours (our local GS does that regularly).

The open evenings can be a bit overwhelming. Extremely crowded, and as G55 says, "show events" and they are doing their best to market the school. You can leave on a high or feel totally frazzled and it can be a bit much if looking round too close before the kids sit the 11 plus.

I found the day time tour much more relaxed, realistic and informative. There were just a handful of us and we got to see the school in real life. For me, it gave a much better picture.

And yes, you should be entitled to take your child out of school during the day for a daytime tour.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Been checking these out as don't want to be caught out again and surprised to notice that some don't do Open days just Open evenings. Evenings are great for DC to build up enthusiasm but surely the days are what really shows the school as it is?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Thankfully, and thoughtfully both rgs and jh had open days last year on the same day, staggered times, AFTER the results came in. There were several parents, who like ourselves refused to show children a "maybe if you" prior to results, happily showing "which do you want to go to" children round the schools after results day.
The uppers have tours too of course we attended two of those prior to results day and he chose his favourite "in the likely event of."

I was surprised at how determined he was to dismiss a certain non grammar, even though I thought it was ok, he hated certain elements and made his point rather well. There is f course an element of which canteen has the better menu, which art room has the biggest camera lenses etc, but that's why you make the ultimate decision.

Try and time your visit so your child can experience a lesson change over, or break time, they tend to avoid such times, but later slots can witness it, the pupils show their true colours then and how your child will experience the school community every day.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now