Trafford primary schools and 11 plus success rates?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
TizWoz

Trafford primary schools and 11 plus success rates?

Post by TizWoz »

Hello,

Hope someone can offer some advice please,

We are moving to Trafford (likely Sale, but possibly Stretford), my daughter will be in y4 and I was wondering what are the best primary schools in terms of eleven plus pass rates?

We are quite impressed with Lime Tree Academy, does anyone know if they have a good eleven plus success rate? Does anyone have any other recommendations of good primary schools in terms of eleven plus prep?

Many thanks!
cleo

Re: Trafford primary schools and 11 plus success rates?

Post by cleo »

Hello Tizwoz,

You will find no state primary school will teach or prep children for the 11 plus. They all follow the national curriculum 2014. You need a good primary school who will teach your DC the subject knowledge required in numeracy and Literacy and you (or a tutor) will have to teach her how to tackle the non verbal questions.

You might need to plug gaps depending on her mathematical and Literacy ability as some of the year 6 curriculum will be featured in the 11 plus and this might not have been taught because the exams are sat at the start of the academic year.

In addition schools do not familiarise children with the format of the 11 plus exams.
TizWoz

Post by TizWoz »

Thanks cleo that's really helpful!

I was under the impression that some primary schools such as Brooklands prepare pupils for the eleven plus, hence why many of their pupils go on to grammar schools. :)
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

TizWoz wrote:I was under the impression that some primary schools such as Brooklands prepare pupils for the eleven plus,
Well if they are they shouldn't be, it's opt in not opt out in Trafford (unlike Bucks)
Micrait

Post by Micrait »

Hello Tizwoz
The easiest way to find local primary school's 11 plus pass rate is to make formal enquiry to the local council, under "freedom of information Art", local council will provide you by law all the yearly statistics on admissions to secondary school for any primary school you want to know.
miltonkeynes

Post by miltonkeynes »

TizWoz wrote:Thanks cleo that's really helpful!

I was under the impression that some primary schools such as Brooklands prepare pupils for the eleven plus, hence why many of their pupils go on to grammar schools. :)
Its all about what you do out of school really.
TizWoz

Post by TizWoz »

Thank you miltonkeynes and Micrait, that's very helpful. I'll enquire with the council.
Micrait

Post by Micrait »

Miltonkeynes is quite right, pupils whether can pass 11 plus are all down to individual's abilities and efforts, as I know most Trafford primary schools more or less do go through verbal and non verbal practice with the pupils, the purpose is to let pupils to familiarize the exam format, this is not a guarantee of a pass . Also forget to mention, don't just compare the figures of each school, bear in mind that each school has different numbers of year 6 group.
TizWoz

Post by TizWoz »

Thanks again for the info - really helpful
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

I have sent you a PM Tizwoz
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now