Home preparation for 11 Plus

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sony

Home preparation for 11 Plus

Post by sony »

My son will be year 4 this Sept 2015. I am thinking to prepare of him for grammer schools for surrey area. How do i prepare at home. How many hours i need to devote on him. How should i process i don't have any clue. what books he needs to study and read and practice.Please if you are preparing at home or taking professional coaching please suggest what i should follow with home and which books he needs to start. please share your guidelines and suggestions.

thanks in advance.
fifilarue

Re: Home preparation for 11 Plus

Post by fifilarue »

Hi! I am no expert but your post popped up in new threads and I saw that you had had no answers, so I thought I should try to help.

From what I can tell, it is completely possible that children can be prepped using the DIY route - that is what we will go for, probably with some extra help here and there. The main thing is looking at the schools in your area to check which exam system they use. Once you know the type of exam the children sit, and the level of competition, you will know better what books/materials will be of help and where to concentrate your efforts.

Information about Surrey is here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... ey-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The uncomfortable bit about the DIY route is that we, as parents, need to look at our own abilities and level of education to see if we could sit the exam ourselves. If we can't work at, or above, the level of the exam, then we need to find someone to help who can. This would not normally spring to mind, and I have no idea if this is of any significance, but you have a typo in your OP. If this is not immediately obvious you may need a bit more help than you initially hoped for...... Sorry to point that out but it is really relevant to your question about the DIY route so I hope you take it in the positive spirit which it is meant.

You might also do well to look in the Surrey Regional forum and read lots of the threads to pick up tips.
Good luck and hopefully someone who knows more about the Surrey are will be along soon!
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Loads of advice here about home tutoring, so I won't add to that, but what I will say is that I firmly believe that year 4 is too early to start.
Your child will be learning more than enough by reading, helping you with weighing and measuring when you cook and most important.y, talking to you, increasing their vocab, gaining confidence with numbers in a totally non formal way. Formal prep with papers and questions and books is totally uneccesary at this stage. Really, let him just 'be' for now.
fifilarue

Post by fifilarue »

yes good point Yamin - reading reading reading would be the way to go - get hold of some of the telegraph best book lists by googling.