Restaurants in London

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
buzzybee

Restaurants in London

Post by buzzybee »

We are planning to have a family day out in London this Summer. We are a family of 4 (dd's 9 and 13) and will be going to the theatre in the evening.

Can anyone recommend some good restaurants in central London that would be nice to go for dinner beforehand? The girls are quite easy to take out, enjoy a variety of food. We always seem to go to a 'chain' restaurant or somewhere familiar but fancy something different.

Any suggestions very welcome. Thank you.
Yamin151

Re: Restaurants in London

Post by Yamin151 »

Go to Kettner's. In soho, several 'rooms', great service, family friendly but not in a nuggets and chips way, just nice menu choices, feels chic, does great cocktails and quite trendy. Check out the website. We loved it with our ten year old twins and also as a couple when we went without the boys
They are also flexible and will let you return for your pudding after the theatre if you like, and it's literally 5 minute stroll from the theatres.

http://Www.kettners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

http://www.bombayb.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant ... gland.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One of my favourites recent refurbishment. Taj quality in Kensington West London a few tube stops away from the main theatres.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

If you like Lebanese food, Hiba on High Holborn:

[url http://www.hiba-express.co.uk/Menu/HomePage/25/url" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]

Very close to Holborn tube station and a few minutes away from the British Museum.

Also very near the British Museum and great if you are into hummus (perhaps not such a draw if you're not :lol: ) is Hummus Bros on Southampton Row (another branch is in Wardour St.). Bowls lined with hummus and filled with beef stew / guacamole / mushrooms or whatever may sound a bit odd, but the first time I tried the beef version I must admit I had the thought that having experienced that, I could die happy :) .

One of the things we tend to do in London is go somewhere like the food court at Spitalfields Market or the South Bank behind the Royal Festival Hall - give the children a tenner each (change expected!) to go off and choose from whichever stall takes their fancy and 'regroup' to sit and eat our various choices. Lots of lovely spicy things, usually :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Another good restaurant I would recommend.This is in Marble Arch and it can be pricey.Not everyone's cup of tea.Main problem it is only open at lunchtime until 3.00 and then reopens at 6.30 similar problem to Bombay Brasserie if you want dinner before the theatre.Not been there for many years lovely memories.

http://www.laportedesindes.com/london/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
KS10

Post by KS10 »

quasimodo wrote:Another good restaurant I would recommend.This is in Marble Arch and it can be pricey.Not everyone's cup of tea.Main problem it is only open at lunchtime until 3.00 and then reopens at 6.30 similar problem to Bombay Brasserie if you want dinner before the theatre.Not been there for many years lovely memories.

http://www.laportedesindes.com/london/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, very pricey. The cheapest option, I believe, is the Sunday buffet at around £30 per head. Not sure I'd want to spend loads of money if I needed to leave quickly to go to the theatre. Definitely a place to relax and enjoy the ambience.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

We really like Wahaca - there's a trendy one housed in brightly painted old shipping containers on the South Bank near the Hayward Gallery but I'm sure there must be more - Covent Garden maybe? It's Mexican food and not overpriced. What I like is that they do lots of different little dishes, like tapas, so you can have plenty to share between you. They do very nice Churros with chocolate or caramel as one of the puddings, which the children love. Good coffee too served with a little square of chilli chocolate - yum!
mad?

Post by mad? »

Plus 1 for Wahaca YUM! and yes there is one in Covent Garden so easy for theatres. Alternatively Polpo/Polpetto in Soho is fab and again convenient for the theatres. Have fun!
mad?
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Plus 2 for Wahaca. We had a lovely pre theatre meal there (Covent Garden one) in October. I would have never chosen it myself but as I was out in a group I followed everyone else. I must say, it was one of the nicest meals I have even had.

Lovely buzzy atmosphere, family friendly and you even get a packet of chilli pepper seeds on your way out!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Much as I really hate to admit it, but a certain large company named after a really big river, does several two from one or voucher deals for London theme restaurants if you pre book through their days our or whatever it is called scheme. We have used it twice rather successfully now, saving about £20-£30 each time and we got great tables each time too, not hidden next to the lav or anything.
Have a very lovely day.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now