Adams Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Bessieboo

Adams Grammar

Post by Bessieboo »

What are people's thoughts on Adams Grammar?
Happy dad

Re: Adams Grammar

Post by Happy dad »

"I really love Adams Dad" My own Y7 son comments sums it up.

A very good boys school which has a real house system engendering competitiveness alongside team work, commitment and camaraderie. All boys are required to immerse themselves in the full range of activity from rugby, through to cross country running and also non-sporting competitions - his team won Year 7 Geography competition in Autumn term. The first house event is the cross country in September when all boys compete for their houses. The house system underpins everything.

Unlike KEFW, where my 13 year old attends, I feel engaged as a parent as my son who is keen but not always the most able in sports type activity, competes and I have watched him play rugby several times, compete in cross country and will attend the sports day. The parents induction evening was for his class alone which allowed for a more informal yet informative evening and a chance to make friends with parents who I have met again at subsequent events and hope to meet again tomorrow evening at the Annual Summer Ball 8)

Pastoral care is good and they have a matron permanently on site.

DS2 travels on Wolves 1 bus which has allowed him to increase his group of friends outside his house class.

Oh did I mention they also achieve very good exam results :D
Bessieboo

Post by Bessieboo »

Thats a great reply, thanks. My son is currently year 4 and gaining good results, his teachers have suggested we apply but I'm trying to get the whole picture of the school before we make a decision. My son is not sports minded but it's good to know they are encouraged to take part in a variety of sports.
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

They also have a fantastic Annual Summer Ball with Mr Hickey as Chief Tosser :lol:
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

Induction Thursday and Friday this week - my how time has flown. Good luck to all. DS2 really looking forward to welcoming Y7s if only for the fact he and friends can move two rows back on the Wolves 1 bus 8)
anxiously hopeful

Post by anxiously hopeful »

DS loved the school induction days, especially today when they had the sciences! He felt more confident and has made some friends already. First impression was that he liked the school lunch :lol:
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

Pleased he enjoyed it Anxiously.

Look out for the invite to the summer rugby and languages camp. DS2 went on it last year and loved it.
anxiously hopeful

Post by anxiously hopeful »

Thanks, Happy Dad,
I must have read about the rugby camp on this forum, possibly from your post even, so we booked it asap, i.e. yesterday. DS is very eager to go. Apparently, they dissected an ox heart in biology class, and he was really impressed. I really like the headmaster, but I guess we won't have much contact with him. Do you think that the school changed at all since Mr Barratt's departure?
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

Mr Barrett was only head for one term since DS2 started and was really in changeover for much of it. I was mightily impressed whenever I had contact with him. I like the approach of the Head being slightly detached and not too friendly with the parents and pupils.

Mr Hickey, being from a drama back ground, brings a different approach and I must say I have - somewhat to my surprise perhaps - been very impressed with him also. Only time will tell of course.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now