relocating to USA

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ss1405

relocating to USA

Post by ss1405 »

Hi All

My DS has almost finished year 7 in QE boys. Now we have to relocate to USA (new jersey).
Has any one moved back to UK from NJ. Any advise on schools ? what to expect?

regards
ss
tiffinboys

Re: relocating to USA

Post by tiffinboys »

ss1405 wrote:Hi All

My DS has almost finished year 7 in QE boys. Now we have to relocate to USA (new jersey).
Has any one moved back to UK from NJ. Any advise on schools ? what to expect?

regards
ss
Just to be clear. Is the advise you are looking for is about USA schools or when you relocate back to UK?
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

I know that in New York state ( and I assume it is the same in NJ) that unless you go to a private school, the state school you go to is the one that is allocated to your address. So what is important is to live in the right location for the school you want. Actually this is how it works at primary school level but I assume that it is the same for secondary schools too. Sorry a couple of assumptions here.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

My relatives live in a different state but their secondary school (they had 2 - a middle school and then a high school) were also based on their address. They had no choice of school unless they went privately.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Schools in the US tend to be behind where our students are.

As others have said you have no choice of school unless you pay.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Moving back to the UK might also be tricky. You'll need to check whether the schools start GCSEs in year 9 or 10, as they may be not keen to take students once GCSE courses have started, (plus it could be difficult for your DS.) best time to come back would be to start in the sept as GCSEs start, otherwise waiting until start of A level.

I suspect you will also find it difficult to get a place at a really good school straightaway when you get back as it will be likely overssubscribed and you'll need to go on waiting lists.

DH was possibly going to be assigned abroad for some time recently, we made the decision that we wouldn't (and realistically couldn't) take DD out of her current school for similar reasons. Besides, I'm not sure she would have forgiven us.
Ally

Post by Ally »

We moved to the US with a full expat package in 2000 for what was meant to be 3 years, but in the end moved back at the end of 2001 as OH was made redundant. Schools for our DS wasn't as issue as he was only 16months when we moved out.

We had another offer of moving back to US approx. 6 years ago, but it wasn't right for us at the time. It would have been very different as we would have had to go the green card route and it was a bit of "been there done that got the t-shirt"

The link below may be useful. But what support are you being given ? I've friend who moved back from NJ 4 years ago ( she has DC's now in Y6 and Y10) and before they went out, they went out on a fully paid visit and looked at schools/ rental property.

NJ does seem to be popular with British Expats as I know a number of families who are really enjoying their time in NJ / NY. I would recommend you look at East Setauket - NY. Belle Mead NJ and also Chatham NJ

http://www.fulbright.org.uk/study-in-th ... ool-system" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Banany

Post by Banany »

As someone who has gone to New York as a primary school student and come back in secondary (albeit many, many moons ago); I can tell you that in things like grammar, spelling and handwriting I was ahead of my class. Languages weren't generally taught at primary (elementary) school level, but I did attend a before-school French club, so I wasn't too far behind when I moved back. In terms of things like science, english literature, history and goegraphy I was very behind and had a lot of work to catch up.

I feel, though, that if you want the same level of education your child is receiving here, you will need to go to a private high school.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Banany wrote:As someone who has gone to New York as a primary school student and come back in secondary (albeit many, many moons ago); I can tell you that in things like grammar, spelling and handwriting I was ahead of my class. Languages weren't generally taught at primary (elementary) school level, but I did attend a before-school French club, so I wasn't too far behind when I moved back. In terms of things like science, english literature, history and goegraphy I was very behind and had a lot of work to catch up.

I feel, though, that if you want the same level of education your child is receiving here, you will need to go to a private high school.
I didn't want to be the first one to say something like this :wink: - my nieces and nephews are currently at university and moved to the States when they were between 5 and 9. They were very much ahead when they arrived and they have continued to be pretty much the top of their year throughout. THey probably are quite bright but I don't think they would stand out here. My dh (who is a teacher) says that they are around 3 years behind. They finish their high school doing GCSE level or slightly below. They are doing work equivalent to A'level standard at university (he often uses resources from US universities for his A level teaching). What we really noticed is that our nieces and nephews were not taught to think or have opinions. So when they were applying for University bursaries (not sure if that's the right term) they had to write essays about, for example, world issues and they literally didn't know where to start. And they live in a State where the majority language is Spanish and they weren't taught any languages compulsarily...
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

Counter-balancing. I have worked with many, many Americans whose education levels are second to none. MIT graduates, for example. Boy did they know their stuff. And I've worked with literally dozens and dozens of Oxbridge alumnae who definitely don't shine brighter (although also not necessarily worse) academically than U.S. colleagues from universities of a similar calibre.

Not trying to come down in favour of either, but the thread appears to be heading towards a "GB education is better/wonderful" path and frankly I don't buy that. Yes, maybe, if you compare the school of a typical 11+ forum family who is interested in education with a random US school, maybe the standard here is higher. But there are oodles of poor schools here too. Private ones included. Just like the U.S..

To the OP, schools are just one aspect. Read your contract very carefully and don't go anywhere without employer-paid health insurance.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now