raw scores for tests

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hongkong

raw scores for tests

Post by hongkong »

Aiming for test this September. If I give a mock paper as practice the total score would be 120. Does any one know what sort of raw score you need to be reaching to have a chance of getting in the grammars?
Minesatea

Re: raw scores for tests

Post by Minesatea »

It depends which school. High 80's (just under 75%) was required for CRGS with last years papers, I haven't worked it out for the other schools. The difficulty is that there is no mark scheme for the continuous writing so you can really only accurately mark out of 105 for the two sets of papers available.
Stressed.mum

Post by Stressed.mum »

Hi hongkong,

There is a page on 2014 results with raw scores and the standardised score for 2015 intake. It depends on which grammar school you were hoping for and is it for DD or DS?

The marks are out of 60 for maths and out of 60 for English. Last year in the English test, the marks were weighted heavier than the maths. There is also a page on how the scores were calculated to standardised score (many thanks to Aang explanations).

It would be safe to get marks in the 50s out of 60 for both papers.

Good luck!
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 5&start=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stressed.mum

Post by Stressed.mum »

In addition, it really depends on girls or boys grammar. If it boys, you will need to get very high marks for KEGS and CRGS 50/60.
WHSB and SHSB in southend, high marks are needed to get the OCC places maybe not less than 40/60 in each paper.

For the girls marks in the 40s is close to borderline for COLCHS, it would be safe in the 50s to position yourself in the green zone for Colchs.

And for WHSG and SHSG 40/60 in each paper may get a OCC place.
For IC places for southend schools, the marks required are lower, in the high 30s? Last year, a standardised score of 303, was offered ic place in one of the southend schools.
Just for info. 30/60 in both papers gave a standardised score of around 274...

I hope this helps.
abraham

Post by abraham »

Stressed.mum wrote:Last year in the English test, the marks were weighted heavier than the maths.
Hi Stressed.mum, do you know what the weighting was last year - and also if the test will be weighted the same again this year? I always thought that, once they'd done away with the separate VR paper, it would just be 50/50 Maths/English equal weighting - but must have misunderstood?
Stressed.mum

Post by Stressed.mum »

Hi Abraham,

The weighting should still be 50% maths and 50% English, hence both papers will be out of 60 marks. But depending on how the children perform this year, the final standardised score is calculated on the mean score for all the children sitting those paper for that year. The 300 standardise score is the mean score for all the children. 50% of all the children will have more than 300 score and 50% will have less than that score. Last year, the maths paper was performed better in the majority, so for every mark in the English paper was worth more to push the standardised score higher.

There is a method on calculating the standardise score in previous pages in the forum, please take a look, it explains it better than I do.

Good luck.
abraham

Post by abraham »

Thanks Stressed.mum, I have always wondered why 303 was the magic number - and now I know! I will definitely have a hunt for the calculation method in previous pages as well though - would be nice to finally understand it properly, especially since I still have DS2 and DD to go!
Stressed.mum

Post by Stressed.mum »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 15&t=39496" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
abraham

Post by abraham »

Thanks Stressed.mum, v. informative! :D