After some advice please re disability

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

lottie78

After some advice please re disability

Post by lottie78 »

Hi all its been a couple of years since I was on the board!!
We went through 11plus with my eldest ( now in year 8 ) unfortunately he missed out on his preferred school by 3 marks( you'd think I'd have let it go). Thankfully he is doing exceptionally well at his school, so all was not lost.
My reason for coming back is my younger son ( yr4) I feel as though I should give him the same chance as his brother, he is equally as bright if not a bit lazier.
He has a leg disability which will mean at least 3 major operations within his first yrs at secondary.during his last one he missed 4 months of school ( was home schooled) and then once back at school 2 afternoons a week were at physio. My worry is that should he pass his 11 plus would he be able to keep up missing so much school. Does anyone have any experience with a disabled child in this situation?
Any advice greatly received
Twinsmummy2003

Re: After some advice please re disability

Post by Twinsmummy2003 »

Hi Lottie

I would imagine any school would be used to dealing with absences but I would ring the administrator of the school you are thinking of and have a chat with them to see what would be needed to help him keep up, could he go in a wheelchair? I don't see any reason why he shouldn't take the entrance exam anyway! Good luck to him and I hope the ops go well.
Tinkers

Re: After some advice please re disability

Post by Tinkers »

Tbh, I don't think it matters whether what school he is at, you need to know how they will deal with longer term absences regardless. Something to ask all the schools you are considering

A friend of mine works for a LA teaching those who for whatever reason are not at school (illness, school refusal etc). Apparently every LA should offer this, regardless of whether the school is an academy or not. However it's possible academies have to fund this themselves, so may not be so forthcoming about this. But it is available and you are entitled to it, as far as I am told.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now