Help on 11+ preparations for my DD

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kuku123

Help on 11+ preparations for my DD

Post by kuku123 »

Hi All,

Congratulations to all of those who have got into their choice of schools and best of luck for those who are on the waiting list.

I have a daughter in Y3 and I wish to start 11 plus preparations for her. Just to start with can anyone please advice what kind of books to start at this stage. May be its early but I think there should be something to start with.

Thanks
Daogroupie

Re: Help on 11+ preparations for my DD

Post by Daogroupie »

You need to specify the school you want to apply to. Different schools have different formats. DG
kuku123

Post by kuku123 »

Hi

I want to apply for Tiffin Girls, Wallington Girls and Nonsuch Girls.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

You need to post in the correct region for these schools. DG
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

In my opinion, year 3 is far far too early. She should be playing, talking (lots, with you all) and reading/being read to. But most of all, her free tw shouldbe unencumbered by any official learning of any kind. Really, let her be a child. There is absolutely no need to start before year 5, and some would say you can do it half way through the year and still get in if its a child who would suit the school.

Please just keep it to what she will learn at your knee.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I will move this post to Surrey section
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

No tutoring needed in yr 3 & 4. Read any book that interests her and see that she understand what she is reading or being read to. In maths, cover the areas that school is doing and try to stay just abut ahead to develop confidence and interest in learning. If you go too ahead of the class, she would be bored in the school.

Some more advise is here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/prepar ... r-3-year-4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Goodheart

Post by Goodheart »

tiffinboys wrote:If you go too ahead of the class, she would be bored in the school.
That is certainly a risk, but wouldn't it be true to say that you need to end up and entire school year ahead of where the school is? Our DCs take these tests right at the start of Year 5 but the FAQ on the Nonsuch web site says, "The content of the Maths and English tests is based on the Key Stage 2 curriculum" and it was my understanding that this meant the whole Key Stage 2 curriculum - including those areas which would not be covered by the school until Year 6.

So although I'd agree that you don't want to be too far ahead of the school too soon, you certainly need to slowly edge ahead and build-up a one year lead in time for the entrance tests. A ridiculous situation, certainly, but that seems to be where we are.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

My comments were related to preparation in yr 3 and yr 4.

Yr 5 is all together different ball game, by the end of year 5 the child would need to have covered all the KS2 syllabus and going by some comments about TGS and HBS tests, would also need to cover much beyond.
dadathome

Post by dadathome »

My daughter is going into year 5 in Sep, and we're also interested in TGS, Nonsuch and WHGS. I'd be grateful for any tutor recommendations via PM, especially those in SW postcodes. Many thanks in advance.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now