Term time absence prosecution unfair ?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
quasimodo

Term time absence prosecution unfair ?

Post by quasimodo »

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... randfather" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know where my sympathies are but do the parents have a defence under the current rules? I don't know the rules but I would have taken the same decision.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Yamin151

Re: Term time absence prosecution unfair ?

Post by Yamin151 »

No question in my mind that this should have been an authorised absence.
However, this makes no difference to my strongly held belief that children should not be taken out of school for holidays, full stop. This was not a holiday to my mind, so should have been authorised. As usual however we have no idea of the other backgrounds and elements to this story that have not been mentioned, the better to make a shocking story, so maybe there were reasons for the refusal.
KB

Post by KB »

It's difficult to believe the school would have taken such a harsh decision if the facts really are as presented by the press.

The only thing I wonder is if possibly the school has had a run of parents using the 'visiting sick family members overseas' excuse and this family just happened to be the ones the head teacher decided to clamp down on.

In answer to do the parents have a defence I think not as their request was denied. Presumably they could have appealed in advance of the absence but in the circumstances they may not have had time to go through all that?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It says December - there are the Christmas holidays at that time so why not wait a few days?

I fully support fines and they should be bigger so it is not cheaper to take a fine and go anyway.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

http://www.naht.org.uk/welcome/news-and ... d-absence/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Attached to the link is the guidance. Large element of discretion to the headmaster in these particular circumstances.This combined with a lack of cultural understanding in some headmasters in what happens in particular communities e.g. on a death can only lead to conflict.

In these circumstances of serious ill health it seems the family may not have followed the correct procedures in challenging the decision through ignorance.
Last edited by quasimodo on Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sorry what do you mean 'cultural understanding'? We are in Britain and all must obey British laws ...
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

What has this got to do with obeying British laws?

This is about the application of discretion as to how the law is applied and when it is appropriate to prosecute.

I am talking about what is expected in certain circumstances from others within particular communities.What is regarded as behaving in a decent moral and ethical way.An understanding by someone who has a discretion in applying the rules means they are fairly applied.

Abraham Lincoln
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They could have gone in the Christmas holiday - this situation is not a reason for discretion. The fines were correct and should have been higher - they chose to go in term time; they could have waited a few days.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

This guidance shows the sort of factors headmasters have to have knowledge of in applying their discretion fairly e.g on death

http://amv.somerset.gov.uk/resources/re ... -grieving/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Abraham Lincoln
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That is a different situation ... this was an illness with a school holiday close by.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now