Bexley 2008 still NFER???

Questions and advice about our 11 Plus Interactive CDs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Bexleymother

Bexley 2008 still NFER???

Post by Bexleymother »

Bexley used NFER in 4 subjects up until the last exam. It will now be only NVR and VR. Will they still use NFER and which CD does that link to? I know some counties also do just NVR and VR. Do they all use the same exam board? Which? Does it matter? I'm so confused. Please help. Thanks. :?
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Bexley Mother

If the VR test is NFER, Multiple Choice, the only suitable CD is from the Tutors.

Have you rang admissions to ask whether they will remain with NFER?

Patricia
Bexleymother

Post by Bexleymother »

Thank you, I phoned and eventually got through after being put on hold for ages and giving up several times. They don't know yet so I shall just assume NFER. I just needed to know so that I could decide which CD to buy. The Tutors VR is brilliant btw, I just wish I had known about all this last year with my older son.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

The Bexley council website has an interesting document relating to the changes. Its list all the pros and cons and despite there being bucketloads of reasons why the system shouldn't change, it is going to change! The only advantage of the new system is that we will know the 11+ results before we apply for school places.

Further into the document it says that the board to be used will be NFER - VR and NVR.

As there were some questions thrown up during the consultation peiod about dropping the English and Maths, Bexley are liaising with NFER to see if the VR paper can include more English and the NVR paper can include some Maths. Reading between the lines, I can't see this happening.

Bexley also plans to drop the school familiarisation process. Instead they intend to send out some examples of questions to parents and also to advise them to buy the papers from bookshops!

Have a look at the website, it makes good reading!
patricia

Post by patricia »

Tracy wrote: As there were some questions thrown up during the consultation peiod about dropping the English and Maths, Bexley are liaising with NFER to see if the VR paper can include more English and the NVR paper can include some Maths. Reading between the lines, I can't see this happening.

!
That is the difference between 15 types NFER and 21 types VR. Bucks only use VR papers, to make up for this they asked NFER to include more MAths and English. The extra types [HIKNOS] consist of 2 extra code type questions, 2 extra Maths and 2 extra Vocab questions.

Patricia
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Thanks for that, Patricia, I'm still a relative newbie to this site and the references to the extra question types have left me confused at times. Right, that makes sense then. Could you point me in the right direction as to where to find these extra 6 question types please.

From what I have heard from other parents re Bexley's consultation I don't think that these extra questions will be what they want. The parents that I have spoken to want 2 papers namely English and Maths but as I understand it, and have tried to point out, its VR and NVR that measure IQ and potential. So, if we must have VR and NVR the parents would like 2 papers, one consisting of a combination of VR with English, and the other NVR with Maths. I guess something along those lines doesn't exist.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear tracey

The extra 6 types can be viewed on The Tutors Demo, types 16 to 21...

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/cd/the ... lume-1.php

Nfer can technically design papers on request. In reality [at the moment] there is a set design 15 or 21 types Standard form or Multiple Choice. More schools are requesting M/C because they are easily marked by a computer.

Patricia
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now