practice in test centre before music exam

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
neveragainmum

practice in test centre before music exam

Post by neveragainmum »

Hi all, my ds took his grade 5 piano exam yesterday, and usually the children are allowed to practice for a bit before the exam in the test center. However we asked if ds could and their reply was they had no facility to do so on that day. Both my ds and I were put out by this as was dc also taking their piano exam after my son, and no doubt all others on the day.

Anyway my son did make a mistake in one of his pieces and whilst I fully accept this may have happened with or without the opportunity to practice before the exam, I feel this was unfair as all other test centers have always given ds the opportunity to practice to get a feel for the strange surroundings and different piano.

Any thoughts on this, would this be a ground for appeal/ complaint and if so now or when the results come through.
Guest55

Re: practice in test centre before music exam

Post by Guest55 »

Every exam my DS has taken he was allowed practice time. However this was not standard when I was taking exams as a child ...
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Hi neveragainmum - I wouldn't worry too much. It's completely normal to make mistakes of some kind kind in music exams so I'm sure it's a minor issue.

I actually think it can be counterproductive for pianists to practise when they get to the exam centre, as, if there is a piano available, it's not the one they'll be using for the exam so it's yet another different instrument which can put pupils off in the actual exam. I always think it's better to practise thoroughly at home before you get there instead. Anyway, that said, why don't you talk to his piano teacher and see what they think? You could also contact whichever examining board it was to explain but I don't know if this would be grounds for appeal as I don't know if test centres are obliged to provide a second piano for pre-exam practice. I hope your DS does well anyway.
neveragainmum

Post by neveragainmum »

Thanks all, I will see what teacher thinks, and hopefully ill have nothing to worry about in any case :D
Coconut

Post by Coconut »

Dear neveragainmum
I am a music teacher and parent of children who take music exams. No exam board guarantees a warm up facility at their exam centres. As previously mentioned if there was a piano it would be a different one used in the exam room so wouldn't be relevant. In exam days where a warm up area exists I use it to top and tail pieces, check speeds and tuning. Too much last minute practice does more harm than good especially when parents and teacher may have differing opinions. As you are probably aware scales and arpeggios happen at the start of piano exams so pupils can get a feel for the piano in the exam room. Ps it states in the syllabus ( ABRSM) that they cannot guarantee a warm up facility at all their venues so therefore not grounds to appeal. Hope this info helps...
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

None of my piano exams had scales at the beginning - is this new?
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

Guest55 wrote:None of my piano exams had scales at the beginning - is this new?
All the major boards give students the option of choosing the order of the tests. You could start with sight reading if you wanted! I always advise my piano students to begin with scales so they can get an idea of the feel of the piano but my flute students normally begin with pieces as they require me to accompany, so they have a bit of moral support at the start.
neveragainmum

Post by neveragainmum »

Thanks Coconut, that has clarified the situation, as really despite ds playing I havent a clue at all with regards to music. Just have to wait and see if ds passed hopefully with a good grade still.
Coconut

Post by Coconut »

Hi neveragainmum
Just seeing whether the music exam result has arrived and was ok despite the circumstances?
Hope you have a great summer...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now