St Ambrose

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

elizabethswan

St Ambrose

Post by elizabethswan »

I seem to hear of lots of people who know people who have kids that go to St Ambrose that aren't Catholic, does that mean non-Catholics would have a realistic chance as we're in Altrincham, about 2 miles away from it, but like the sound of the sports facilities. Any thoughts?
Mandy21

Re: St Ambrose

Post by Mandy21 »

We went to the open day a week or so again. The admissions policy (over subscription criteria) is massively weighted to Catholic boys (as you'd probably expect). If you look on the website, I think the first non-Catholic category is number 7 - which is Christian boys who have a brother attending. The next one (number 8) is Christian boys (without a brother attending) who have a letter of support from a minister. We are in that category. The admissions officer said in the last 3 years, they'd only offered places to boys in category 8 in one year, the other 2 years they'd only needed to go down to category 7 before all their places were filled. I don't think they've been below that for a number of years (at least since the face lift). She said its worth a shot, depends on numbers passing, whether its a high sibling year etc. The school looked excellent by the way.
Mandy21

Post by Mandy21 »

Not sure how the smiley face appeared - that should be Category Eight
elizabethswan

Post by elizabethswan »

Thanks Mandy for the reply. I know at least one person who isn't Christian who is there and they didn't appeal either, so I thought maybe there was a chance for non-Catholics. Maybe we'll take the test anyway just for the experience and for the small possibility of a place.
miltonkeynes

Post by miltonkeynes »

We were in a similar position. Non-RC and live close to St Ambrose. After the open day DS was desperate to go to St Ambrose. He passed and we put St Ambrose 1st choice and SGS as 2nd. DS was offered SGS.
We were going to appeal but the appeal seemed quite an unusual and complex process, we understood that it could be at the discretion of the Headmaster. We were also given very mixed messages about how many non-RC got offered places, some telling us a few and another one saying none at all.
We decided to accept SGS and DS is looking forward to starting in September. I guess all i'm trying to say is to look at other options because I definitely got the impression there is no guarantee.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now