School bus

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ahap

School bus

Post by ahap »

Which bus to Westcliff charges daily fee or single journey rate?

DH works in Southend so DS goes to school with him and comes by the contract bus at the moment and is at home by 4.30 pm, but if I could find a bus where he could use it whenever he needs, then it will be easy whenever DH does not have work or go to work. DH comes home around 5.30 pm, so he can even choose to stay after school at his work place or at school for any activities. When DS stays after school for any activities, us parents of the boys who live nearby take in turn to bring them home.
First bus & Stephensons reach around 5.05pm/5.15 pm to the stops nearby, so that will be fine too but before calling them I would like to find out more from anyone who know about the services offered by the bus companies please. Thank you.
Last edited by ahap on Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
MmeOgg

Re: School bus

Post by MmeOgg »

Where is your DS travelling from ?
ahap

Post by ahap »

Sorry, I forgot to add that, he travels from Chelmsford.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Are you looking for a public bus service or consortium

The X30 calls at Kent Elms I think, a 10 - 15 minute walk up to the schools. It calls at the bus / railway station in Chelmsford but I don't know where else (limited stop service Southend to Stansted).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
ahap

Post by ahap »

I am thinking of using a consortium bus, if that is possible, otherwise I have to look in to X30 I think.
ahap

Post by ahap »

Wow! There is an X30 which starts at 7.40 am and reaches Kent Elms at 8.20 am.

For the return journey, the google direction mentions bus no: 512 opp. St Thomas More, isn't that the consortium's First Bus service?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

ahap wrote:Wow! There is an X30 which starts at 7.40 am and reaches Kent Elms at 8.20 am.

For the return journey, the google direction mentions bus no: 512 opp. St Thomas More, isn't that the consortium's First Bus service?
No idea whether it's consortium but it's not a normal First service. Tommy More and Westcliff are served by the First 21 and the Arriva 29, neither of which goes anywhere near Chelmsford.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

The 512 goes from Chelmsford. My son gets on in Galleywood, it then goes to Billericay and then down to Westcliff. After Westcliff it goes onto Southend boys. My son gets on about 7:10am at the top of Galleywood and its back in Galleywood by about 16:50pm
ahap

Post by ahap »

I have to think about what to do, as it seems a waste of money to be paying for the morning journey as well for the contract bus because DS does not use it now. He is only using it for the journey home. X30 seems to be a good option. However the price for a single journey by X30 is somewhat close to a return journey by contract bus. So wondering whether to renew the contract or not. I have to find out about 512 and also need to ask from the one we use as well. I read somewhere on this forum about single journey services from a school bus but can't find it. Or stay after school for more interesting activities and come home with DH and use X30 for the odd days. Thanks Toad mum and Pink Rabbit.
FlightyRachel

Post by FlightyRachel »

Ahap, if you use a Stephensons contract bus, I know that you can pay daily (for a single fare if need be) because my son does this. We didn't find the termly pass cost effective as he wasn't using it every day, so he started paying on the bus. My son travels from Latchingdon now, to Southend, it costs £8 daily return, £4 single.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now