applying in 3 grammar schools?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
zena

applying in 3 grammar schools?

Post by zena »

can my child apply for more then one grammar school in different counties?
Tinkers

Re: applying in 3 grammar schools?

Post by Tinkers »

In short yes.

However, do your research thoroughly before going down that route.
Look at the admissions policies for the schools. Do they have a catchment? Do they usually take some from Ooc. What date do you need to be in catchment by to qualify as being in catchment?

Visit the schools and actually make sure they are indeed the right fit for your child. There is a difference between the 'best' school and the 'right' school.

Also, please, please, take into account the journey your child will have to take to get to school. All too often on this forum we get parents posting how their child 'has got a place at such and such a school, what's the best way to get there?' Some of the journeys proposed would be hideous for an adult, let alone an 11yo. They will not benefit from being at what is thought to be an excellent school if they are exhausted from the journey.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

zena wrote:can my child apply for more then one grammar school in different counties?
I'll try to refrain from calling it '11+ tourism', for all I know you may have a perfectly sensible reason for wanting to do it :?: . The simple answer is yes, you can, so long as the schools / LEAs concerned allow it. However, bear in mind that although your child may be allowed to sit the 11+ somewhere, there may be other reasons why you wouldn't get a place anyway. For example, in Buckinghamshire you qualify for grammar by getting a standardised score of 121 - but schools then offer places on distance, so no help at all if you live in, say, Brighton.

Crossed posts with Tinkers!
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Some LAs require you to register - you've missed the date for Bucks test in September 2015 unless your child attends a Bucks Primary school.
hornetgirl

Post by hornetgirl »

Yes, we have applied to Bromley(St Olaves) and Bexley. We could have gone for Kent and Croydon too as we live somewhere in the middle, but I felt it was too much to ask of my son. The application deadlines have now passed for these 11+.

Bromley is academic ability alone - so distance is irrelevant for a place although it will matter to the child if they are sucessful.

Bexley admits the top 180 on 11+ results alone - so can be living further away, but the rest after that on proximity to the school. We happen to live outside the catchment so my son will only get into a Bexley Grammar if he does really well in the 11+. If he doesnt score in the top 180 children, I won't put it onto his CAF as it would be wasted space.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

With regard to Bromley, St Olave's may not have a catchment area, but Newstead Wood does - so it would depend on whether the OP is talking about a boy or a girl.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hornetgirl

Post by hornetgirl »

Good point Toadmum, I am all boy focused at the moment.