forest school

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

shah

forest school

Post by shah »

my daughter has an interview at forest tomorrow any last minute tips?
any advice would be welcome
thanks
fusspot99

Post by fusspot99 »

make sure she watches the news.

they sometimes ask about that.
Above all tell her to be confident and tell them how much she enjoys netball/hockey /drama....whatever it may be.

They take their arts and sports seriously

Good Luck
shah

Post by shah »

thankyou for replying.
she hates sports buts loves music
and i will make a point of her watching the news tonight at least, its so doom and gloom thou.

crikey, a formal interview at the tender age of 10!!!

will post how it goes
thanks
tami

Post by tami »

it's not formal, quite the opposite it's just an informal chat about the childs likes and dislikes fav subject at school etc and the child can ask any questions about the school :wink:
Tami
shah

Post by shah »

update
"interview" was very wuick and informal.
the lady speaking to us was very welcoming until i mentioned uniform.
she then told me that as this was a christian school my daughter would have to attend hapel twice a week, which i have no object over.
but that she would have to wear a skirt - no allowances and that she would be the only one to wear a headscarf including teaching staff.
it was not what she said but the manner in which she did, that i got the feeling that we were not really welcome.
she then went on to tell me that there were approx 15% ethnic composition of pupils. by this time i had my my decision.
maybe i'm too sensitive, but it did wind me up for the rest of the day.
is this usual in the independant sector?
fusspot99

Post by fusspot99 »

A lot of independent schools are rigid like that from my experience.
We are Hindu and both my children have been at Forest since 7.
In primary school they have to be part of the choir if chosen and you do have to attend the services, but we have been philosophical and thought it would not be a bad thing for them to experience another religion.
I have found that it has made their faith stronger because it instills an ethos they would not otherwise get in an 'ordinary' school.
shah

Post by shah »

i agree with you about the religion but as i said it was the scarf thing that i felt a bit akward as she was speaking. i went to a roman catholic school and it didnt bother me, my mum chose the school as it was brilliant.
it was more her body language and her manner of speaking than what she said.
i didnt think it was necessary for her to tell me that my daughter would be the only one wearing a scarf - even inclduing the staff team. or that this is a christian school! i just didnt expect that.
fusspot99

Post by fusspot99 »

YEA

I CAN SEE WHY YOU WERE ANNOYED
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now