Next steps after mock- crossroad point

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Cheekymonk

Next steps after mock- crossroad point

Post by Cheekymonk »

Hi there,
I wanted to appeal to the wisdom of you all!
DS has just completed a mock exam with **** after several weeks of tuition with You** *******. It is the only tuition he has done, I didn't feel that he would respond well to years of tutoring due to his anxiety( He has high functioning Autism). His performance is very erratic in the exam, being excellent in some subjects but below expected level in others. Overall he has got 55% which I was surprised by. In the Bond practice tests that he was doing each week he was getting 86% roughly.
His end of year levels were assessed as 5c in tuition but at school it is not NC levels so he is 6L for Reading/Maths and 5H for writing.
Everyone seems to think I'm too big for my boots and putting DS through an unnecessary amount of stress. I have told him simply that I believe in him and am trying to give him CHOICES and opportunities.
I'm not sure what to do next. My plan was to focus on the weak areas but son's confidence has been knocked by as he puts it 'terrible' performance. I feel that the tuition has not really helped. He has not really been helped with developing his weaker areas which according to mock are some of the Maths, synonyms/antonyms,non verbal reasoning. I bought books ages ago but they are the wrong ones. Should I get some intensive tuition?
Really its about boosting his confidence. I don't think the mock reflects his ability at all. Any ideas?
quasimodo

Re: Next steps after mock- crossroad point

Post by quasimodo »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/prepar ... e-starters" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The link on this website may be a useful start.Its difficult to advise on the mock exams and the tutoring agency without knowing them or ever hearing about them before and without knowing the content and difficulty of any mock exam.What I can say in the actual CEM Durham 11 plus exams, marks in the low 60's can be very good marks and sufficient to gain a pass mark.Good luck to you and your son in your endeavours.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

My ds did the same mock recently- it really is a tough paper apparently. Many dcs have said over the last few years that the July mock with this company is actually harder than the real test. The company, from their experience of having tested over 3000 kids over the last few years, have stated that over 62% in the July test and you have a very good chance of gaining a gs place, 55-62% you are borderline but still a good chance.
I would rebuild his confidence with maybe doing slightly easier work, test papers etc. Then gain steady momentum towards the test date. Don't panic or get too stressed out - you'll only stress your ds out and that's the last thing you want at this late stage. Remember you still have over 6 precious weeks to turn things round- he clearly has the talent.
Good luck.
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Incidentally cheeky
What school are you aiming for?
Bob
Cheekymonk

Post by Cheekymonk »

Thanks all! Camp Hill Boys Bob I think but we loved Five Ways too, have been around it twice and talked to head and deputy about his ASD.
Son wants to go to local school with his mates but I explained to him that Tudor grange, where all his friends are supposedly going is not his catchment school. Alderbrook is which I have been told is huge.
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

All 4 schools that you mentioned are great. I have known kids to get into Tudor grange even if they just fall out its catchment but are in Alderbrook catchment.
That mock company have said that from past experience you need around 80% if you're aiming for chb.
Everyone should have a plan b.
Remember to rebuild his confidence.
Good luck.
um

Post by um »

Alderbrook is not a huge school - it is pretty small as secondaries go - and from anecdotal evidence, can be better at supporting children with ASD/additional needs than Tudor Grange.
If your son is statemented you may wish to look at Langley with a view to putting that on your statement preference as they are very experienced with ASD support.

You seem unsure about the whole enterprise and unfortunately seem to have external family/friends pressure over it too.
I suppose ultimately you need to decide what you want to do with the next 6 weeks. Follow an incredibly intensive program involving home and external tuition in order to maximise your son's chances? It would mean a lot of work. I've certainly seen children make pretty remarkable progress over summer once they have the 'right' materials and work. But this cannot be guaranteed. On the other hand, some parents prefer not to work at such an intensive level, particularly if good secondary options are available to them (and in some areas of Birmingham they are not).
Your other perfectly feasible option, given that you have a good catchment school, you could keep going as you are and see what happens on the day. You say your child can feel nervous so this could be the kinder option too.... how did he feel about visiting the grammar schools?
Only you - and of course your son - can decide which is best.
Cheekymonk

Post by Cheekymonk »

Thank you for the replies. DS was pretty wowed at Five Ways, loved the facilities, grounds etc. Seemed impressed by it. Its the only one he has seen so far.
I have decided to carry on, concentrating on the weak areas and trying to build confidence as Bob says. It is not the be all and end all, but I would always regret it if we didn't try. I refuse to make his life a misery over it, he will only resent it. Good luck to everyone and thank you :)
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Cheekymonk wrote:Thank you for the replies. DS was pretty wowed at Five Ways, loved the facilities, grounds etc. Seemed impressed by it. Its the only one he has seen so far.
I have decided to carry on, concentrating on the weak areas and trying to build confidence as Bob says. It is not the be all and end all, but I would always regret it if we didn't try. I refuse to make his life a misery over it, he will only resent it. Good luck to everyone and thank you :)
We've seen FW - it's one of our favourites - we actually preferred it to CHB - but to be honest our firm favourite is KES - WHAT a school! Their recent IB results were just out of this world.
um

Post by um »

All the best CheekyMonk :D

Hopefully the CEM section above in the sticky will be of good use to you.

For general advice on prep, please feel free to ask on the forum.