Interviews

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
spursdad

Interviews

Post by spursdad »

Our Daughter was invited for an interview at Channing School, yesterday. I was wondering if any parents know how the procedure works from there.
Is getting an interview an indication that we should be optimistic of receiving an offer or should we consider that its still a long way to go ?
Our daughter was happy with the way the interview went for her, but you can never tell, can we ?
Thanks for any advice.
foldgate

Post by foldgate »

We have been advised that schools take the interview, exam results and report from primary school all into consideration when assessing candidates. So a very high mark in the exam would make the interview comparatively less crucial, and vice versa.

What form did her interview take?

Cheers
spursdad

Interviews

Post by spursdad »

Approx 20 mins with a senior teacher and another pupil, they were given a poetry piece that they had to read and explain and a picture to describe.
herewegoagain

Post by herewegoagain »

Dd also has had interviews at Channing and Highgate. From the numbers of people at both I'd say they were interviewing approximately 200. So with only 40 places available I'd say we're still talking v. long odds! I'm being hopeful rather than confident.
Thea

Post by Thea »

Yes - my son had an interview yesterday at a different school and it was like Piccaddilly Circus :( - so since he cheerfully told me he had realsied he missed (ie not noticed :roll: ) the last page of VR which is his strongest area we are not counting any chickens...
Best Regards,
Thea
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

herewegoagain wrote:Dd also has had interviews at Channing and Highgate. From the numbers of people at both I'd say they were interviewing approximately 200. So with only 40 places available I'd say we're still talking v. long odds! I'm being hopeful rather than confident.
The fact that so many people apply to so many schools means that a large amount of applicants are not relevant. If you have applied to multiple schools you can't go to all of them. If every applicant has applied to say 3 schools then (assuming the 1st preferences are distributed evenly) you have a good chance.

200/3=66

66 real applicants for 40 places.

Of course the real outcome will not be known until the offers are rejected by those who were offered but do not want to take up a place. So... it is quite possible that being wait listed might result in a place.

A long lingering torture...

That's my interpretation anyway.

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
herewegoagain

Post by herewegoagain »

Does anyone know if the order people are called for interviews is significant? For example, if your child's interview is on the first scheduled day, is this a positive sign? Do they interview in rank order, for example? I'm asking because dd has some on first day, some on second and some on fourth and fifth!

Thanks.
spursdad

Post by spursdad »

I asked myself the same question. I initially was under the impression that interviews were done in alphabetical order but I think thats too simplistic, my view is that each school will have its own system of procedures and that may either involve consideration of strengths and weakness or overall ranking- in all honesty it could be anything so i've given up trying to understand.
herewegoagain

Post by herewegoagain »

None of the ones dd's had so far seem to have been in alphabetical order. My son went through this several years ago and was lucky enough to get several offers. I'm wracking my brains and I'm pretty sure he was interviewed on the first available day possible for all of these schools which isn't good news for dd. However, this was a while ago, the schools are different - who knows!