Single sex schools

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
miltonkeynes

Single sex schools

Post by miltonkeynes »

I just wondered if anyone had any views about single sex schools? DS 1 goes to a single sex school and DS 2 is starting at a mixed GS as he was unable to get into the GS of our choice as he is not RC. Thanks!
Peridot

Re: Single sex schools

Post by Peridot »

There was another thread about this (last year?) which would be worth searching for.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

It was called "Mixed vs single sex comps" and was in the Beyond 11 plus/General forum. Not sure how to do a link!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Peridot wrote:It was called "Mixed vs single sex comps" and was in the Beyond 11 plus/General forum. Not sure how to do a link!

Link here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 39&t=37873" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Thanks herman.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I've said it before but I think it's down to the individual child. What suits one of your DC may not suit another.

I would have hated a girls' school, and didn't want DD to go to one, but actually now she is at one and after spending time as various school myself (both mixed and single sex) it is absolutely the right choice for her and she loves it.
trudie

Post by trudie »

Speaking from our own experience, I would be more concerned if I hadn't experience of single-gender schools and were about to try one for the first time. As you are about to start mixed for a first time, I think generally it is easier. It certainly has been for us. Looking at the environments as a parent, I saw more defined groups and cliques in the single-gender schools than in the mixed grammar where there seems a softening of sharp differences.
In essence, I wouldn't be concerned and I think that if your child is one to work hard and set their own bar, academic aims can be achieved and surpassed in both mixed and single.
Also may I emphasise that like previous posters, I am speaking from a very personal standpoint. I don't wish to impinge on others' judgements, experiences or opinions.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Has he come from a single-sex school? If not, then I'm thinking there won't be much difference for him as he's used to spending time with girls.

I went to a mixed GS and had a large friendship group of both genders for the first 5 years. It wasn't until new blood joined in the sixth form that any romantic distractions happened - the original lads were viewed more as annoying siblings! :lol:

JD