Top State Schools ?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

quasimodo

Top State Schools ?

Post by quasimodo »

An article in today's BBC news about research by the Trinity Mirror group of newspapers as to what they regard as the top state schools with links to local newspapers and local schools in many areas.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33731108" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Guest55

Re: Top State Schools ?

Post by Guest55 »

Another silly article based on flawed performance tables ...

When they rate schools by something more than raw results then it might be interesting.
Goodheart

Post by Goodheart »

Guest55 wrote:When they rate schools by something more than raw results then it might be interesting.
I haven't looked at the tables themselves, but according to the BBC article other factors were taken into account.
The number of A* to C graded GCSEs pupils gain is often used as a key indicator to a school's success.

But Ms Miller [a data journalist for Trinity Mirror's regional team] said other factors were important.

One important area of analysis is the value-added score, which is the amount a child improves across their time at the school.

Trinity Mirror has also looked at pupil-teacher ratios, attendance, truancy rates and what happened to students after their GCSEs: did they go on to further education, find employment or become a NEET?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Where this is interesting is going into the schools in a particular area and seeing the assessment of the different areas there - not just attainment but the rating on number of teachers etc. I would always use any league table with caution but, having visited a number of schools in the area and "ranked" them in my head as to how suitable or to they were for my children, it is interesting to compare that ranking with the one listed here!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Being happy at a school is number one for me .... no studies look at that. The 'best' school by raw results may not be the best fit for your child - you need to judge schools by 'soft' factors to get the 'fit' right.
SteveDH

Post by SteveDH »

"Grammar schools ....... They also have fewer pupils from ethnic groups."

Interesting as the grammar schools I know about are the exact opposite.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Guest55 wrote:Being happy at a school is number one for me .... no studies look at that. The 'best' school by raw results may not be the best fit for your child - you need to judge schools by 'soft' factors to get the 'fit' right.

Exactly - the most suitable school for your individual child can only be discovered by visiting and imagining them there (or not) based on lots of different elements, not just on their position in a league table.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

SteveDH wrote:"Grammar schools ....... They also have fewer pupils from ethnic groups."

Interesting as the grammar schools I know about are the exact opposite.
+1
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

agreed, many Asian and Chinese boys at my sons' school proportionate to the numbers who live locally.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

I think I meant disproportionate :oops:

For the record, we don't live locally either.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now