AGSB V SGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
deltamum

AGSB V SGS

Post by deltamum »

We have been working towards the Alty boys and Sale exams this Sept with AGSB always being the first choice - obviously depending on whether we pass! However, lately a few comments from others have made me wonder whether AGSB is the right for choice for my DS:

1) His friends said they preferred SGS over AGSB after the open day, in particular my DS's best friend which has influenced him. We weren't able to get to the SGS open day so don't have first hand experience to go on.

2) A parent of a boy already their has just completed Y7 at AGSB and who they say is very laid back/quiet/sensitive and only has sisters so the `rutting` that (inevitably) goes on with the older boys in an all-boys school like AGSB was a bit of a shock to the system for him - the same applies to my DS, he is not a boisterous boy and fairly quiet and therefore might be better suited to a mixed school??

Our preference for AGSB is based on:
1) better academic results
2) closer proximity - we are within easy walking distance

I know there are no straightforward answers here and it is a very personal choice but I guess I am looking for reassurance, following friends to a particular school, experience of similar boys settling in to AGSB, general thoughts etc

Thanks in advance!
Altymumof2

Re: AGSB V SGS

Post by Altymumof2 »

My DS has just finished y8 at AGSB and loved every minute of it. I think the pastoral care has been fantastic, particularly in year 7. The boys are well supported and have a very gentle transition into senior school. I have friends that also have girls at AGGS who say the pastoral care at AGSB is wonderful in comparison to the girls school.
DS is also a non-boisterous, sensible boy and has never complained about the behaviour of the older boys.
I don't think AGSB sell the school particularly well at the open evening (I guess they don't really need to!) but I know DS has never regretted his choice in going there over the other GS's
I hope that helps and best of luck to your DS.
cleo

Post by cleo »

Hi Deltamum,

My DS has just completed year 11 at AGSB and I cannot fault the school. The staff are fantastic, the pastoral care is great and any issues are dealt promptly and fairly. However, going back to open day and I recall leaving feeling very under impressed - apart from the head teachers speech. If I had been in the catchment area for SGS I would have been having the same dilemmas as you are having now. I cant speak for SGS but my younger DS is preparing to sit the 11 plus hoping to gain a place in AGSB.

I know its a hard decision, both schools are very popular, but I don't think your child will be at a disadvantage attending either school. It is all down to personal preference.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

My son is in the same years as Cleo's. He quite sensitive but not quiet and has definitely come out of his shell since he started. I found the pastoral care at AGSB has been excellent throughout and some of the older boys have acted as subject tutors to my son.

Its quite a traditional 'old style' school though and I think the open day reflects that. I can't compare it to SGS as we didn't apply there.

As someone says above, they don't really try to sell it, as they don't need to.

I have been very happy with the school and my son has thrived.
deltamum

Post by deltamum »

Thank you for all of your replies. this is really helpful and reassuring.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now