SCGSG place offered in Summer holidays

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
booellesmum

SCGSG place offered in Summer holidays

Post by booellesmum »

Have just accepted late offer of a place at SCGSG. Obviously school now closed for summer - does anyone have experience of this? Will I get any info over the summer or do we just turn up on September 3rd??? Thanks.
Bob1892

Re: SCGSG place offered in Summer holidays

Post by Bob1892 »

I'm sure there will be someone at the school office - if not now then certainly in the next couple of weeks. Have you got acceptance confirmation in writing?
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Had a letter from BCC and phoned twice to confirm!! Left message on answer phone at school 2 days ago but heard nothing yet.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

booellesmum wrote:Had a letter from BCC and phoned twice to confirm!! Left message on answer phone at school 2 days ago but heard nothing yet.
Would it be worth asking someone at the school's LEA (is this BCC, or is BCC just your LEA?) whether you actually have to speak to someone at the school, or whether the LEA does everything necessary? And if you do still have to contact the school, would the LEA have a direct number for the right person?

In the absence of more concrete information, you could always annoy them at the school by turning up nice and early on August 13th (AS / A level results day), there will definitely be staff around then.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Thank for advice guys. Have also just left message on answerphone for Grammar School admissions office!
Not complaining at all though, very very happy. :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Please don't go to the school on A level results day - extra people won't be welcome!

By all means e-mail the school but don't go in on that day or GCSE results day without an appointment.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Guest55 wrote:Please don't go to the school on A level results day - extra people won't be welcome!

By all means e-mail the school but don't go in on that day or GCSE results day without an appointment.

I wasn't being entirely serious! But I do think that authorities should make it absolutely clear what one has to do regarding offers during the holidays - logically, a response through the agent informing one of the offer should suffice (since they obviously are still working) but I suspect that I would still have a niggling feeling that I might manage to leave my child with no place at all come September (not to mention, no doubt some kind of official info regarding uniform, first day of term etc would be nice :) ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Toadmum - had realised you weren't serious about results day but loved the comment, made me chuckle!
Have swapped uniform today - still feels a bit surreal.
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Had a call from lovely lady in the school office on 30/07 - just needed confirmation from LEA as school hadn't been informed yet. Message on my phone today saying info being posted out, so all good - I will stop fretting! :D