Resitting GCSE English Language

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
willowsticks

Resitting GCSE English Language

Post by willowsticks »

A friend of mine’s DD would like to retake her English Language. She got a “C” in 2014. However 2 of the universities that she would like to go to are asking for at least a “B” in English Language.

Post her GCSE, she has moved school to do her 6th form (going to yr 13 in September). Her new school would not put anyone forward to do an examination that they have not taught them (league table reason I suspect). She wants to study Economics.

I would like advice of how to go about resitting this subject please. What are the options?

Thanks
Guest55

Re: Resitting GCSE English Language

Post by Guest55 »

It would not count in the League tables so they need to follow-up with the school why as they are effectively blocking university entrance.

The easiest way is to resit it in her current school or maybe look for an evening course in a college?

She could ring the unis and see how strict the grade B is - what did she get in Eng Lit?
willowsticks

Post by willowsticks »

Guest55 wrote:It would not count in the League tables so they need to follow-up with the school why as they are effectively blocking university entrance.

The easiest way is to resit it in her current school or maybe look for an evening course in a college?

She could ring the unis and see how strict the grade B is - what did she get in Eng Lit?
She got a B for Eng Lit
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think its worth checking with the specific unis whether the B in Lit might be enough ..

League tables only count the first attempt at a subject now.
KB

Post by KB »

Agree its worth checking with specific departments - if the C grade is at top of grade boundary and combined with B in Eng Lit it might be enough. If she is doing a literate AS subject it might be worth asking if a certain ums in that would suffice. Contact them now before they get busy with A2 results, clearing etc.

If she decided to re-sit does she needs some revision/tutoring first anyway to be sure of getting the grade? An intensive study centre might be time efficient given she is also doing A2s.

I agree with G55 that school should be more helpful with this. It wouldn't be unreasonable for them to charge the exam fee but equally it wouldn't be unreasonable for them to look into her sittting in on some GCSE revision classes. Might not be feasible but they don't seem terribly supportive in their attitude.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

In Adult Education Centres, pupils can resit or sit their English language GCSE (not English literature one) as well as maths GCSE. This is for free if the grade is below C. For a C, I think the course would need to be paid.

If possible (that is if that would not put too much pressure on the student), I would go with resitting the GCSE even if the uni admission states that she might be OK with her actual grade. Better to have the English language GCSE with the appropriate grade to be on the safe side and be less stressed on results day. Moreover, it will be all her life on her CV!

That is just my two pennies worth; I do not have Guest55's experience.
KB

Post by KB »

If the universities state that the Eng Lit or an AS subject is sufficient to fulfil their requirements then that would mean there is no need to ge the B grade - it won't be a question of waiting until results day.

If she does need to re-sit then with hindsight it would have been better to do so this year so the B is in the bag but hindsight is a wonderful thing ....

I really don't think it will make any difference to her CV if she has a C for Eng lang GCSE rather than a B, especially since she also has the Eng Lit grade.

I would say the bigger issue is how much time and effort will be deflected from A2s in order to 'guarantee' a B grade in a re-sit.

If Uni departments can be satisfied without the resit I wouldn't bother with it unless the original C grade was a flook and you are pretty confident that simply turning up for the resit exam you are likely to do better this time around.
willowsticks

Post by willowsticks »

KB & Guest55, thank you for your inputs.

I have now been made to understand that her current school can allow her go take the exam in June 2016. However she would like to take it in this November (2015) to get it out of the way.

Am I wrong in thinking that the winter gcse exams are no longer available?

Ta
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/admin/t_tab ... -NOV15.PDF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GCSE resits are avilable in November - see AQA's timetable above. Whether this can count as a 'resit' needs further investigation as we've never needed to do this.
moved

Post by moved »

She should just sit it again. I know plenty who went from a C to an A with no further work, but perhaps a little more maturity.
If the school won't let her then she will need to find another exam centre.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now