Worried - can I manage 11+ if I work FT?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
newbieSW

Worried - can I manage 11+ if I work FT?

Post by newbieSW »

Hi All, I have been reading through these posts. It seems a **** of a lot of work, time and stress is required to get DC through the 11+, and that's just the parent! I want to try for DC but with a stressful, full-on job I am worried that we (the family) won't be able to cope! Can anyone reassure me that it is possible to do it with both parents working FT?? Thank you
TIDDLYMUM

Re: Worried - can I manage 11+ if I work FT?

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

We both worked ft , I worked away sometimes and my husband worked shifts. My DS had a tutor once a week and was was motivated to do practice papers without being nagged.

The worst stress comes from other parents and the rumour mill! You will be fine.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Completely agree. The absolute worst thing is the rumours. Coming to this site gives you huge amounts of benefits and info, but the definite downside is you are looking at quite a lot of intensive coachers and 11+ devotees that actually don't represent the vast majority of the rest of us, just doing our best with other things in our lives, jobs, other children etc. I believe in some coaching (home diy or paid) but not too much, and some practice papers, again, not wall to wall but enough to familiarise your child with the kind of exam questions they will meet (and CEM or not, it's still worth practising non verbal etc as it will prepare them for meeting them, even if CEM claims to be totally different), but more than that for me strays into a more intensive area that needs thinking about whether it's worthwhile or not. But basic is fine!
newbieSW

Post by newbieSW »

Thank you both so much - very reassuring! I had made up my mind not to bother with Tiffin (the stories are horrendous!), and I may still avoid! :cry:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Welcome! It depends what level (or equivalent) your DC is at now.

A lot of posters on here just DIY and work it around other commitments and jobs; it is possible.
newbieSW

Post by newbieSW »

Sorry, I forgot to ask, when is generally the best time for DC to start prepping? DS has just finished Year 3 and achieved a 3+ in all three subjects, so above the level expected to reach at end of Year 3 (they don't say how far above the expected level as they haven't covered the national curriculum yet). I wouldn't to do anything too full on! I was thinking Year 5?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Beginning of year 5 is good time, even then not more than an hour a day. Concentrate more on reading, vocabulary build-up and writing. Remember that by test time, kid would need to have covered all of KS2 syllabus plus a bit more. So staying a year ahead is a good idea with respect to KS2 syllabus.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

We did a half hour with a tutor each week, then 10 mins per weekday homework. In the final summer term we upped that to 20 min a day, but I wouldn't have asked anymore of them than that. (Was successful)
YoungSuccess

Post by YoungSuccess »

newbieSW wrote: I had made up my mind not to bother with Tiffin (the stories are horrendous!), and I may still avoid! :cry:
Uh... may I be enlightened - what "horrendous stories" please?! The competition to get in or the School itself? Did yo mean Tiffin Boys or Tiffin Girls?

If it is the competition, I don't think there is any difference from any other GS - Sutton Grammar, Wallington, Wilsons second round exams were much much harder than Tiffin according to DS. :)

If it is about the school, do PM me. My experience so far is that it is a very good school, not very different from Sutton Grammar, Wallington and Wilsons, all great schools.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Yamin151 wrote:We did a half hour with a tutor each week, then 10 mins per weekday homework. In the final summer term we upped that to 20 min a day, but I wouldn't have asked anymore of them than that. (Was successful)
Well, must be exceptionally bright kids. In our grammar schools, The usual bright kids would be overtaken, by hard working kids, due to lack of practice if they follow 10 minutes routine.

YS, the tests are changing from this year. Tiffin boys would have second stage tests and going by Tiffin girls, these would not be any easier.