Inspirational documentaries about GS or Independent?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ConfusedFather

Inspirational documentaries about GS or Independent?

Post by ConfusedFather »

I was wondering if there are any documentaries that show the life inside top grammar schools or independent ones?
One aimed at kids, and hence not too boring or historical?

I read there was a CBBC "My Life" episode on Eton which actually inspired a few kids to apply there (though I can't get hold of that episode on the net :( ).

I was thinking how as a kid I was inspired by random articles in the press about Yale or Harvard, London Business School or Polytechnique, MBAs and engineering, old historical elite schools and universities.
It would be good to put such material available in the house.
Kata girl

Re: Inspirational documentaries about GS or Independent?

Post by Kata girl »

There is one series my DD (and myself for that matter) enjoyed - I think it was called Harrow - a very British school or something like that. I think we enjoyed seeing how the school is run - the rules, the discipline and some antiquated traditions which seem to make sense and work in that environment. We were amazed at the boys self confidence and manners and the way in which the tutor had a great relationship with the boys but was not gushing - more is less ie if they won - it was a well done but that seemed to be enough. My DD also was intrigued by the boarding school set up - something I will never understand especially for young children - seems heartbreaking to pack a child of 7 off to a school away from family.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I have watched both the CBBC series on Eton which I think followed 3 boys through their first year - most of whom came from a very 'normal" background - I think they were all on scholarships of some kind. Loved the Harrow, a very British School series which I think was a 3 or 4 parter on BBC2 if I remember - as katagirl says, it kind of took the mystique out of the school and showed it in a very positive light.
ConfusedFather

Post by ConfusedFather »

Are any of these available on on-demand tv? Or on DvD?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I just typed in "Harrow a very British school" to Google and it came up so you can watch it on you-tube and all sorts...
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

The Eton one was My Life: the most famous school in the world - think it was two episodes - again - type it into Google and you may be able to find it on You-Tube as lots of the others are on there.
ConfusedFather

Post by ConfusedFather »

kenyancowgirl wrote:I just typed in "Harrow a very British school" to Google and it came up so you can watch it on you-tube and all sorts...
It's 8 episodes but only found episode 8*8 on youtube. The rest are previews mainly.
Can't find the Eton one.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

ConfusedFather wrote:
kenyancowgirl wrote:I just typed in "Harrow a very British school" to Google and it came up so you can watch it on you-tube and all sorts...
It's 8 episodes but only found episode 8*8 on youtube. The rest are previews mainly.
Can't find the Eton one.
The Harrow school documentaries are on Sky and have just repeated themselves very recently and I'm sure will repeat again.They are worth watching and give you an insight into the school.

I recall I think it was in the 80's watching a very good series on Radley College in Oxfordshire and there was a follow up programme a couple of years back.

I also recall a ITV documentary about the late Cardinal Basil Hume who I thought was a very inspirational man and his position as a teacher and Monk at Ampelforth in Yorkshire.

You may also recall the TV series I think made by Granada which follows those children every 7 years and who are now well into middle age.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Does this not have all the episodes?
http://watchseries-online.ch/2013/11/ha ... ool-s01e08" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Try BBC iplayer for the Eton one - it was shown in March 2014.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now