Which school is best?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Readyready72

Which school is best?

Post by Readyready72 »

Confused on which school is best for 10 year old high functioning autism child currently in a private school. He is well behaved, sensitive, a bit obsessive with books, not very good at sport and tires easily, has some sensory issues, lacks confidence due to some past speech clarity and coordination issues he has since overcome a bit, has slow processing and not good organisational skills though fares well in maths and some other subjects. Looking at QE Boys, Watford Grammar, Merchant Taylors, John Lyon, Habs, Aldenham and Chesham Grammar and not sure what is the best option for him to flourish both to achieve a successful career and have a happy childhood. Any alternate options also welcome.

All the schools seem good but any insider tips on what is suitable for such a child would greatly help. Thanks in advance.
Tinkers

Re: Which school is best?

Post by Tinkers »

I don't know much about the schools mentioned, but it might be a good idea to talk to the SENCO at each school and ask what extra support they would be able to provide. If they are a bit dismissive, then that's probably not the best school for your son.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

I'd agree with Tinkers - have a look round the schools - arrange to meet with the SENCO and see how welcome you are made. It may be worth looking at whether any of the schools have a lapttop scheme if there are handwriting issues then all the children having laptops can help a DC fit in. I am not in the same area but my DS has diagnosed dyspraxia and I supsect some ASD traits though undiagnosed - he has ended up in a state grammar school which suits him very well.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

OP, Aldenham and Chesham Grammar are mixed schools whereas the other you mention are for boys. Presumably your DS would prefer one or the other…?

If he's happy with mixed, and fees aren't an issue, Aldenham has a great reputation for pastoral care. Much more so than MTS or Habs I would have said, though admittedly my knowledge is somewhat out of date.

Chesham Grammar has also historically had a good reputation for the pastoral side, but with a new HT and deputies starting in September it is perhaps a little bit more of an unknown quantity going forward.

HTH
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now