Is it unwise to be away for AS results in year 12?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mum of boys

Is it unwise to be away for AS results in year 12?

Post by mum of boys »

Seems a long way off, especially as we are currently waiting for GCSE results on Thursday, but for various reasons we are already mapping out our plans for next summer. The plan at present would involve us being abroad when DS1's AS results are published. Is this something to be concerned about? Any thoughts much appreciated.
tiffinboys

Re: Is it unwise to be away for AS results in year 12?

Post by tiffinboys »

Happy holidays. Possibly the AS results now have no bearing on A2 choices? Guest55 can throw light on it.

Some children do EPQ during summer holidays after AS exams. Some take admissions exam like UKCAT etc. If uni course choice does not require to sit for such tests, have a well earned holidays would be a good thing to go for.
Last edited by tiffinboys on Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Some schools aren't doing the 'new' AS exams as they don't impact or contribute to the A level grade. So my advice depends on the subjects that are going to be studied.

Personally I'd advise being there as most schools have rules on the grades you need to move on to Year 13. If something goes wrong it would be hard to react if you are away as you can't get results faxed or phoned to you. The only way to get the results is usually by post or by your child authorising someone (in writing in advance) to collect results for them.

There is time to go away and be back before the second Thursday in August.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

We were away for AS results, it was no problem, the results were waiting on the mat for him when we got home last night. We had informed the school and they would have been able to get hold of us by email had there been any issue with grades for year 13. It was not our choice but the only week of the holidays that both parents could get leave and no children were away on DofE or scout camp etc. I would not do it for year 11 or 13, but don't feel that year 12 is an issue. You just need to be sure that you will receive the results in time to get a remark, in case of a grade problem.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I know someone who has regretted being away for AS results for 2 out of 3 of her children (number 3 still to come!). They both ended up repeating year 12 but sorting it out at a distance was traumatic. However, it will depend on the subjects.
scary mum
estelle

Post by estelle »

MY DS got his AS results last week. He was away in France ( but at the end of the phone) & so I collected & opened them. His school were very keen for all boys to collect in person if at all possible. I wouldn't have wanted to be away-we have several friends who have had to make difficult decisions in a very short period of time & there is nothing like the support of teachers who know your child.

estelle
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I would not dream of being away at such an important time. The teachers have to be there every year but you only have to be there when you have a dc getting results.

There will be plenty of other opportunities to take a holiday at that time. As other posters have said decisions may have to be made in a very short period of time that will impact job prospects in the future. I can't think of any holiday that could be more important than that.

This is the sort of thing that could come back to haunt you in years to come so I would not take what seems like quite a risk. DG
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

We were away for one lot of AS and it may no difference at all. Nothing has to be done in such a hurry and definitely not on that day. A2 is a totally different matter, and despite the fact that both ours were all sorted by 0900 I was glad we were at home and I wasn't at work
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If the results are good then there is no issue - but if the grades aren't up to moving into Year 13 then something does need to be done fairly quickly!

We ask students to collect results in person as do many schools.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Inclined to agree with G55. Whilst school can email results if there are issues a face-to -face chat with staff has to be best. Especially if you want to take a hands off approach as a parent.