Dd is not performing too well in mocks. Advice.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tiredmama

Dd is not performing too well in mocks. Advice.

Post by tiredmama »

Hi everyone,
First post here. DD will be sitting a grammar test for Birmingham in September. I have also opted for results to be shared with Warwickshire, just in case, although we are only considering one grammar really- Camp Hill as the rest are too far to travel.

We have decided to try for grammar when she was at the beginning of year 5, so rather late. Mainly self prepared as can't afford expensive tuition. She had a maths tutor but not the one renowned for his pass rates, but he did help somewhat.

Anyways, my question is regarding mock tests. Any positive stories from those whose children didn't score highly in mock tests? She has done one from Fraser Stevens and got 57% in the time allocated, but would have got 68% had she had a little more time. This week I bought CGP CEM style mock tests pack 3 and she did quite poorly on the first paper that we tried (half a test). Only got around 50% overall but she lost lots of points on 'shuffled sentences' section where you have to find the word that does not fit. She really struggled with that section and only got 1 right out of 12-15 can't remember. Her maths and NVR are definitely stronger than English.

I am getting a little disheartened and thinking should we even have bothered :roll: but trying to keep a positive front in front of her. She is eligible for pupil premium but we decided to only apply for grammar if she gets a decent score and I would rather she is top in local comprehensive than bottom in grammar, it will completely knock her confidence.
Bob1892

Re: Dd is not performing too well in mocks. Advice.

Post by Bob1892 »

Never heard of Fraser Stevens personally so I can't comment on their mocks but I wouldn't read too much into it. A lot of forumites will tell that their dps have done poorly in mocks and have gone and done well in the real test.
I would rebuild her confidence with some easier work then back to the higher level.
Where are you based if chg is the only option? The green bus does a fairly decent job in transporting dc around brum.
I agree that it is sometimes better for a dc to be at the top of a comp class if that's what they are used to being.
Then again you've got nothing to lose in doing the test at this late stage and it then all comes down to what happens on the day although to be fair cem tests do seem to pick out those dp with higher innate abilities- those you would expect to gain a GS place usually do in a cem test.
Good luck
tiredmama

Post by tiredmama »

Thank you for your reply. Fraser Stevens I downloaded from the net. You pay and they email you the link to download the test. My feeling at the moment is that she should score well in maths and NVR, if she does ok in English and VR she may just about scrape through. She sat QM in July and she said she found it ok but the results are not in yet.

Re: travelling distance - we are near Solihull town centre, less than a mile from Touchwood.
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Tudor grange and Alderbrook on your doorstep- both very good schools particularly the former. Good options for you. Stratford grammar is another option I suppose. I know someone who does Sutton grammar from where you quite comfortably for the last 3 years. Have you looked at five ways?
tiredmama

Post by tiredmama »

I know both are decent schools. I don't think I am prepared to travel 20 miles return journey to grammar schools when we have two good schools on our door step. So I don't know. We'll have some decisions to make once results come in.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now