Family afternoons out, aged 12!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Yamin151

Family afternoons out, aged 12!

Post by Yamin151 »

Any inspiration for afternoon activities on a tight budget for 12 year old boys who are too old to want to run around national trust, (they are not of course, but not keen unless with friend then suddenly fun again) but too young to want to concentrate on non flashy museums. Oh, and walking is apparently "awful", sigh. I love walking. No amount of hunts or even promise of cream tea at end will persuade one of them to go, and in fact last time we tried he completely refused :(
We have done and loved trampolining, castles, swimming, ice skating, transport museums, laser quest, cycling, friends.

Not expecting much, but with a few days to fill up, I'd love to pull something else out of the hat !
doodles

Re: Family afternoons out, aged 12!

Post by doodles »

Is there a lake near you where you can hire rowing boats/canoes/pedalos. We have one quite close, the hire is quite cheap and I take a book and a flask / drink - perfect!
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Ye there is, I'd forgotten that. There are two, one at a local stately home and the same company runs another in evesham. Thank you
ConfusedFather

Post by ConfusedFather »

You look to be around Oxfordshire, so maybe a walk in Oxford? Plus there are very good flashy and non flashy museums. There are also the botanical gardens, cruise on the river, etc...
Otherwise picnic in the area? Haven't done many, but went once to the arboretum (a bit south of Oxford).
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Have you a climbing wall/ centre nearby? DD has enjoyed rock acadamy sessions at the wall in Gloucester over the summer.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Unfortunately, where Yamin is there is very little to do that doesn't involve long country walks (or a pub!) - the bright lights of Oxford are a long way away!

Believe me, I grew up there and was dragged on many bracing strolls by my parents :lol:

Sorry, Yamin I'm no help but do feel your pain ...

JD
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Lol, thanks JD.

And thanks to everyone for suggestions. The climbing wall is a possibility, there is one at evesham, also another in birmingham but eye watering expensive!
I wish my boys loved walking,, I feel so inadequate ss know so many who do. Ironically, it's the dogs that have ruined it! We have two dogs that need a good hour of fast exercise - this keeps me fit too, but needs to be done without the boys as they can't and don't want to keep up on a fast three mile stomp in all weathers (they are small) so because it involved childcare, or coming with me, the dog walk to them is a chore and consequently put them off walking! Our dogs are not ones you can take with you to a nice park or something, so it's always been dog walk in middle of nowhere. Not so good.

Anyway, a trawl last night revealed Football Golf, looks fun, as does Disc Golf and Ultimat Frisbee. They'd love clay pigeon shooting but again, cost is eyewatering.

I'm still open to any other ideas, and thank you.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Take heart, I now love nothing more than a good hike so there is hope for your boys! :)

JD
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

JamesDean wrote:Take heart, I now love nothing more than a good hike so there is hope for your boys! :)

JD
I do hope so!

Thank you :)
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

geocaching? Crazy golf? Badminton at local leisure centre?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now