All Advice Welcomed

Useful tips and ideas for the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
M

All Advice Welcomed

Post by M »

Hi there

I am planning to help prepare the kids for the 11+. Can anyone help me with advice as to what age should children be introduced to all the maths, english, Non VR & VR questions and can this be done without tutors as they tend to be very expensive??

I would welcome any info/methods that i can consider in preparing kids for 11+ and thoughts from experienced teachers/parents where kids passed the 11+ are welcomed as i am working on my own.

Best Regards

M
cindy

Post by cindy »

Dear M,

what area are you from?

cindy
shah

Post by shah »

it can definitely be done by yourself. i did most of the prep myself, had some sessions via a tutor with the tricky bits.
i would recommend that you download the tips from here (methods & techniques). plus i would recommend the afn books for verbal and
non verbal reasoning. the tips on there are great, they show how the answers are worked out in details. after that you can use the nfer papers and afn papers again both can be bought via this site. plus the best cd's are the tutors VR cd's. dont forget to look over the previous threads and patricia is a star when it comes to VR.

where are you applying because the paper format is different for different areas, you dont want o waste time over question types that are not applicable. plus redbridge only does NVR and VR, you need to check that.
hope this helps
good luck
M

Post by M »

I am london based and i think that kids will be applying to redbridge, i will need to check. My understanding is that 11+ exams are similar in general.

thanks

M
cindy

Post by cindy »

Hi M,
some general advice...

Apparentely the Tutors suggest that the child works thier way through the relevant three books at home. In my area they are the NFER multiple choice (WHSMITHS) They are asked to do this daily in bite size pieces, depending on how much time to the test. Say three pages a day. They are asked to do those that they can, and those they cant, to mark the others with the tutors name. This focuses the Tutor on
just those with which the child has difficulty.
I did not have a tutor for either of my children. I am not anti tutors, but felt I could do the above myself. I did not mark the work each night but just once a week as otherwise I felt my children would dread it and it would be no good for self confidence, every night saying what they had done wrong.
My opinion is that six months before, for a suitable child, should be enough
time. Working through the books, you can soon identify weak areas, I knew from my daughters practice that NVR was her hardest thing, so tried to focus more on these.
Fortunately my son helped me show my daughter some simple methods for working out some of the maths (he is a year older than her) otherwise
I would have consulted the respective subject list on the Forum for help.
Incidentally, I think if the school had said that there was not much chance of them passing, I may not have put this pressure on them.

Oh, and the carrot and stick approach worked well, but left me a little out of pocket!!

Good luck

Cindyx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now