Non-verbal reasoning method and technique

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
AOC

Non-verbal reasoning method and technique

Post by AOC »

I have just bought the IPS verbal reasoning method and technique book and was wondering if there is one for non-verbal reasoning. If not, does anyone have any tips on how to approach the questions?

Thanks
IronMikeTyson

Re: Non-verbal reasoning method and technique

Post by IronMikeTyson »

From memory there is one ,I think.Else,google "How to do NVR".

Or you can go through a bank of questions yourself and figure out the recurring type of questions being asked-symmetry,number of lines/clockwise/anti-clockwise movements etc and then work out the quickest way of answering each question with your child.It's important that your child understands or develops their own method- don't be afraid to take a guess if a question can't be figured out.
"To err is human;to forgive ,divine"
AOC

Post by AOC »

Thanks for that.
starsy1

Post by starsy1 »

I've just bought a copy of Bond's How to do NVR. My DC was doing really well on NVR but seems to be struggling with some of the questions that have come up recently, particularly those in the S&S book 6. I'm not sure that being able to show that level of ability will be necessary in the exam but I wanted to offer DC a more structured approach for those questions where the answer no longer stands out as being obvious or when time is running short. I also didn't want to confuse matters by having DC apply a fixed approach to every question even when the answer could be identified immediately. I worry that having switched from paid tutoring to DIY'ing that my DC may sometimes miss out on the structured approaches or hints and tips - I know how I approach a question but I can't always explain it in any useful way! This book seems to encourage the child to spot the obvious then apply a structured approach when there is no obvious answer. So far it is helping.
AOC

Post by AOC »

Thanks for the message. Like you I am doing it myself and so will definitely look to purchase the Bond book.
Bee

Post by Bee »

AE Technique books are good too. i used few recently and they explain it very well.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

I used the AE Tuition NVR books for DS1 and DS2, but I used the Eureka NVR Ninja books (there are three covering common CEM question types) for DS3 and preferred them. They have more detailed explanations for each set of questions and explain how the other options were eliminated - very helpful for those who struggle with NVR themselves like me.
UmSusu
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now